Title and statement of responsibility area
Brandon College fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA MCK RG-1
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
25.5 m textual records : c. 1500 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Brandon College was established by the Baptist Union of Western Canada in 1899. Classes commenced in the Fraser Block on Rosser Avenue on October 2, 1899. Construction of the original College building began in 1900; classes commenced in the new College building October 1901. Brandon College was incorporated under provincial statutes in June 1900. The College included a men's residence, a dining room, kitchen, science laboratory, reception room, office, library and nine classrooms. Originally, it possessed the following departments: Academic (for students completing matriculation), Arts, Theology, and Business and Stenographic Department. In 1905, plans commenced for the building of a women's residence to adjacent to the original Brandon College building. Clark Hall was completed in 1906. Brandon College affiliated with McMaster University after several unsuccessful attempts to acquire a university charter from the Province of Manitoba. In 1938, the Baptist Union of Western Canada withdrew financial support from the College. In order to continue to operate, Brandon College was transformed into a non-denominational college affiliated with the University of Manitoba. Brandon College became Brandon University in 1967 through an order in council approved by the Progressive Conservative government of Duff Roblin.
These records have been located in a number of areas around the University including Clark Hall, the old Science Building, the A.E. McKenzie Building.The records were transferred to the University Archives in the early 1980s.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of documents, minutes, correspondence, financial records, Bursar and Registrar records, printed material, clippings and photographs generated by the College Board, administration, faculty and students. It also includes Clark Hall scrapbooks, military files dealing with the creation and operation of a C.O.T.C. regiment on campus during both the First and Second World Wars. Fonds also contains records relating to the intellectual formation and careers of College graduates including Tommy Douglas, Stanley Knowles, Robert Beamish, and Beatrice Bridgen.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions apply to academic records of College students. Consult the University Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions.
Finding Aid Available.
Online version of finding aid available at: http://www.brandonu.ca/library/archives/old%20Site/finding_aids.htm
Standard number area
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description