Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Brandon College was established by the Baptist Union of Western Canada in 1899. Classes commenced in the Fraser Block on Rosser Avenue on October 2, 1899. Construction of the original College building began in 1900; classes commenced in the new College building October 1901. Brandon College was incorporated under provincial statutes in June 1900. The College included a men's residence, a dining room, kitchen, science laboratory, reception room, office, library and nine classrooms. Originally, it possessed the following departments: Academic (for students completing matriculation), Arts, Theology, and Business and Stenographic Department. In 1905, plans commenced for the building of a women's residence to adjacent to the original Brandon College building. Clark Hall was completed in 1906. Brandon College affiliated with McMaster University after several unsuccessful attempts to acquire a university charter from the Province of Manitoba. In 1938, the Baptist Union of Western Canada withdrew financial support from the College. In order to continue to operate, Brandon College was transformed into a non-denominational college affiliated with the University of Manitoba. Brandon College became Brandon University in 1967 through an order in council approved by the Progressive Conservative government of Duff Roblin.