Series 1, 17 - Boissevain Mennonite Brethren Church history.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Boissevain Mennonite Brethren Church history.

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA CMBS BC-502, microfilm: R132, pp. 62-1538-1, 17

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1985, 1991 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.25 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Boissevain Mennonite Brethren Church was originally called Whitewater MB Church. A group of immigrants from Russia, who settled in southwestern Manitoba, had services in private homes. Soon those homes became too small and the services were moved, in 1925, to a small church in Whitewater. Because of travel difficulties, special occasions such as communion or visiting preachers became all day sessions where people brought their own food and enjoyed the day of fellowship. In 1930, the congregation began to meet in a school. There was a lot of musical talent in the early years. In 1940, the church in Margaret disbanded and joined the Whitewater MB Church. The congregation was active in supporting refugees during World War II. Church membership increased and a new church site was chosen. The church was officially dedicated to the Lord on November 26, 1944 with the new name Boissevain MB Church. D. D. Doerksen asked to be relieved from leadership in 1957 and A. J. Froese took his place. Another building was built in 1966. In 1972, Peter Klassen became the leader and in 1973, Adolph Redekopp became the first full time pastor. The leaders of the church included: David D. Doerksen (1928-1957), A. J. Froese (1957-1973), Adolph Redekopp (1973-1975), John Klassen (1977-1980), Peter Doerksen (1981), Wally Kroeker (1982-1998).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This series consists of a history of the church, some information for a historical sketch, a bulletin for a dedication service (April 14, 1991), and a term paper by Sharon Froese, and information of the 50th anniversary.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres