Fonds Acc: 2005 - 35 - Blaris Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Blaris Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 2005 - 35

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1894 - 1925 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 volumes textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The first Methodists services in Blaris, Manitoba, located northwest of Hamiota in the Rural Municipality of Minnedosa, were held in 1884 by a circuit preacher from Birtle. Once the school house was built in 1885, services were held there. Blaris at this time was part of the Crandall and Arrowton circuit. In 1896 a parsonage was built in Blaris. In 1902 the circuit was reorganized under the ministry of Reverend S.W.L. Stewart and included points at Blaris, Beulah, Miniota, Crandall, Arrowton, Lavinia and Chumah. The field was technically divided in 1904 by all points continued to receive service. The field was renamed the Miniota Circuit in 1907 and the mission included Miniota, Blaris, Beulah, and Brighton. Isabella was added in 1911. A church was built in 1903 by two Nesbitt brothers and a Mr. Tully. The Methodist congregation rented it to the Presbyterians. The church burned down in the spring of 1912 and was rebuilt by both the Methodists and Presbyterians The two congregations formed a Local Union in 1923 to become the Blaris Union Church.

Custodial history

The records of Blaris Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the conference office in 2005.

Scope and content

The records of Blaris Methodist Church held at the conference archives include records of the Women's Missionary Society (1894-1925).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the records of the Miniota Pastoral charge and Beulah Methodist Church for other material pertaining to Blaris Methodist Church.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres