Fonds Acc: 84 - 22; 04 - 12 - Bissett United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bissett United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 84 - 22; 04 - 12

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1937 - 2000 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Bissett United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Bissett, located southeast of Manigotagan, from 1947 to 2004. The field was opened in 1934 and served by a student minister named J.P. Browne. The services were originally held in the community hall and were attended by members of the Anglican, Baptist, Greek Orthodox and Lutheran churches as well. A church fund was established in the summer of 1945 and enough money was raised by August of the following year to begin construction of a church building. The church was officially opened in September 1947. The San Antonio Mine, located in Bissett, closed in June of 1966, causing a sharp decrease in the population of the town of Bissett and the United Church congregation. From 1966 to 1973, Bissett was served by Lay Supply. The minister of Pine Falls took charge of services between 1974 and 1984, and then again from 2001 to 2002. A minister was supplied by Selkirk Presbytery from 1985 to 1991, after which Bissett received an ordained minister of their own from 1992 to 1994. By 2003, there were only 2 members of the congregation left and occasional services were being held at the community hall again. The church building remains vacant and in a state of disrepair.

Custodial history

The records of Bissett United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Bissett United Church in 1984 and from Selkirk Presbytery in 2004.

Scope and content

The records of Bissett United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1955-1964), Marriages (1955-1962), Burials (1954-1956), and includes Membership (1951-1966); records of the Session/ Combined Board (1949-1967); records of the congregation (1954-1984); financial records (1964-1971, 1985); and a Historic/Communion Roll (1937-2000).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres