Title and statement of responsibility area
Beulah Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 03-16
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
3 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Beulah Presbyterian Church existed in Beulah, Manitoba, located southwest of Shoal Lake, in the Rural Municipality of Miniota, from 1883 to 1923. A student minister named C. Copeland was first sent to Beulah, then known as Doyle's Landing, in the summer of 1879. The services were held in the homes of William A. Doyle and William D. Paynter. In the spring of 1880, the charge had fourteen preaching points, but by the time Reverend William Hodnett arrived in the autumn of that year, the field consisted of Beulah, Birtle, Fort Ellice, Todburn, Rossburn, Shoal Lake, and Findley's Settlement. A church was built in the fall of 1883 and was shared by the Methodist congregation for twenty years. That same year, the Beulah field changed to include Birtle, Clyde, Elliot, Todd and Rossburn. Two years later, the field was reduced considerably to include only Blaris and the Bird Tail Reserve. Three acres of land were purchased from the Hudson's Bay Company for a new church and the cornerstone was laid 10 July 1903. It was officially opened that fall. Beulah was raised to the status of congregation in 1904 and its first "settled minister" was Reverend A. McMillan. When the railway came through in 1911, the whole townsite was moved northwest by a mile and all existing buildings, including the church, were moved. The church was destroyed by a fire in 1920. Services took place in Forester's Hall until the new church was completed in 1922. Also in 1922, a Local Union was formed between Beulah's Presbyterians and Methodists before formally joining the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Presbyterian church continued to be used for worship.
The records of the Beulah Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Miniota United Church in 2003.
Scope and content
The records of Beulah Presbyterian Church held at the conference archives include: a Sacramental Register pertaining to Baptisms (1888-1915); a Communion Roll and Register (1888-1911) and records of the Women's Missionary Society (1894-1907).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available
Related material: See also the records of Birtle Wider Parish fonds and the Beulah United Church fonds for additional records pertaining to Beulah Presbyterian Church.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description