Fonds Acc: 03 - 16 - Beulah Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Beulah Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 03 - 16

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1890 - 1916 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 volume textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

A Methodist Circuit was organized on 23 Aug 1884, in Beulah, Manitoba, located southwest of Shoal Lake in the Rural Municipality of Miniota. Points in the mission included Beulah, Arrow River, Brownridges and Torrances (Blaris). A church was built around this time as well and was jointly used by the local Methodist and the Presbyterian congregations until 1903. In 1885, Eyers and Masons were added (later known as Arrowton and Rathesay) to the field. By 1888, the field consisted of Beulah, Blaris, Ethel, Arrow River, Carlingville, Chumah, Old Miniota, Hamiota, Viola Dale, and Oak River. In 1890 the circuit was reorganized and had dropped to just Beulah, Blaris, Ethel, Miniota, Arrow River and Carlingville. In 1897, Arrowton was added and Crandall joined the field in 1901. Reverend S.W.L. Stewart reorganized the circuit in 1902 so that it served Beulah, Miniota, Blaris, Crandall, Arrowton, Lavinia and Chumah. In 1907, Beulah, Blaris, Brighton, Miniota formed the Miniota Circuit. A Local Union was formed between Beulah's Methodist and Presbyterian congregations in 1923 before formally joining the United Church of Canada in 1925. The Presbyterian church, built in 1923, continued to be used for worship after formal union.

Custodial history

The records of Beulah Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Miniota United Church in 2003.

Scope and content

The records of Beulah Methodist Church held at the conference archives include a Circuit Register (1890 - 1916).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the Private Register of Rev. William R. Hughes for Marriages (1892 - 1901) and the records of Miniota Pastoral charge for other material pertaining to Beulah Methodist Church.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres