Title and statement of responsibility area
Bethel Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 78-25; 91-05; 1999 - 11
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2 folders textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bethel Methodist Church (also known as Bethel Mission) existed in Winnipeg from 1894 to 1917. The successor of Bethel Methodist Church was the Maclean Mission. Bethel Methodist Church was built on Dufferin Avenue in 1894 through the efforts of the Immigration Chaplain, Rev. Thomas Argue. In 1900, Bethel Methodist Church was prompted to move from its original location by the population that existed without a ministry in the district surrounding Alexander Avenue, after the relocation of Wesley Church from Ross and Sherbrooke to William and Juno. Bethel purchased two lots on Alexander Avenue and one lot on Pacific Avenue. The Pacific Avenue site was purchased for the purpose of accessing the church from the Pacific Avenue direction, and would eventually serve as the site for a parsonage. By January 1901, the Bethel Methodist Church building had been relocated from Dufferin Avenue, placed on a stone foundation on Alexander Avenue, and replastered. The former site on Dufferin was sold. Sunday School commenced once the Bethel Church was re-established on Alexander Avenue. Bethel Methodist Church operated as a student field under the guidance of Wesley College until Rev. S.W.L. Stewart was appointed as the first ordained minister of the church in 1906. That same year, the church erected a parsonage at 719 Pacific Avenue. In 1911, Dr. John MacLean became the minister of Bethel Methodist Church and six years later, in 1917, the church changed their name from 'Bethel Methodist Church' to 'MacLean Mission' in honour of Dr. MacLean, and because there had been a succession of several churches named 'Bethel' in Winnipeg.
The records of Bethel Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records from the Hartney-Lauder charge in 1978 and 1991, and from Clarke and Florence Robson in 1997.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Bethel Methodist Church include: records of the Board of Trustees, including minutes and financial records, dating from 1895 to 1919; architectural records including blueprints for church addition dating from 1913; and records of the Building Committee, including plans, correspondence and financial records, dating from 1895 to 1916.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory available.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description