Fonds CMBS Institutional Records - Bethel College fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bethel College fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS CMBS Institutional Records

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1943-1960 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

19 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1899 the General Conference Mennonite Church founded the Central Mennonite College in Bluffton, Ohio. The schools first building was erected in 1900 and classes began the same year. The first president was Noah C. Hirschy. Student enrolment grew steadily, however very slowly and threatened the existence of the school. In 1913, S.K. Mosiman, the president of Central Mennonite College at that time, and N.E. Byers, the president of Goshen College, led a group of people from different Mennonite groups with a vision of a united establishment. The vision was for a new school that would be a standard college and theological seminary for the Mennonites. Due to the difficulties the Central Mennonite College was facing, it closed. In it's place and on the same campus the new school began. This visionary school was called Bluffton College. S.K. Mosiman remained as president and N.E. Byers left Goshen College to become the dean of Bluffton College. In 1921 the Mennonite Seminary, a part of Bluffton College, became an individual institution. Attendance declined in the 1930s due to the depression, however regenerated in the late 1940s. Following S.K. Mosiman's retirement as principal was A.S. Rosenberger (1935-1938), Lloyd L. Ramseyer (1938-1965), and Robert S. Kreider (1965- ). Bluffton College yearbooks are called The Ista. The schools mission is "to prepare students of all backgrounds for life as well as vocation, for responsible citizenship, for service to all peoples and ultimately for the purposes of God's universal kingdom". The school has experienced growth and currently more than one thousand students attend the college on a full time basis.

Custodial history

The custodial history of this fonds are unclear.

Scope and content

The material in this collection consists of school yearbooks which show the faculty, students and students life.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File List Available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres