Fonds Acc: 87 - 4 - Berens River Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Berens River Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 87 - 4

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1899 - 1909 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 volume textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Methodist Mission at Berens River began in 1873. In the 1884/85 annual report of the Missionary Society of the Conference, E. Langford reports he was appointed to take charge of the field which had been without a minister for nearly four years. Prior to this, Rev. A.W. Ross of Fisher River, often filled in at the mission those previous four years. This charge included Poplar River and Grand Rapids. In addition to a church/ Sunday School, a day school was also in operation under the supervision of a Miss Parkinson. As well, the Sabbath School was an important auxiliary to the mission, attended by the young and old alike. The sanctuary itself was a frame church with a seating capacity of 150 people. A mission and school house, which was able to hold 80 pupils, completed the mission. Around this period, a Mr. Butler served as both minister and school teacher. Around 1886, an organ was bought and placed in the church. Berens River was a growing charge as the report listed the total membership at sixty-four, though by 1914 it had risen to eighty-nine. In 1925, Berens River Methodist Church officially joined The United Church of Canada to become Berens River United Church.

Custodial history

The records of Berens River Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Berens River in February of 1987.

Scope and content

The records of Berens River Methodist Church held at the conference archives include a Sacramental Register pertaining to Baptisms (1885 - 1899), Marriages (1884 - 1909), and Burials (1886 - 1909).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See the records of Little Grand Rapids and Berens River United Church for other Baptismal entries pertaining to Berens River Methodist Church.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres