Title and statement of responsibility area
Beausejour, St James fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.007
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
9.5 cm textual material
2 still images
2 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St James Parish, Beausejour, was formed on 5 July 1905. Church construction, however, began in 1904 when Joseph Shaw, Sr. donated land for a church site. The stone foundation was started shortly thereafter. The church was opened 20 August 1905. Consecration of the church took place 22 August 1915. In the 1930s, St James supported a mission to churches in the surrounding area, including Seven Sisters, Molson, Whitemouth, Rennie and St Ouens. Financial difficulties in the 1940s forced St James to withdraw its support for the mission and the parish was no longer able to support an incumbent. Services became infrequent and by 1950 the congregation was debating closure. The decision was made, however, to remain open. In the following decades, St James received ministry from St Andrew's on the Red, St Andrew (OW.091) as well as St George, Transcona (W.020). St James is currently served by St Saviour, Winnipeg (W.038). The church building was restored and completely renovated in the 1960s. The first service in the refurbished building was held 28 December 1969. The church was rededicated by the Right Reverend Barry Valentine on 29 June 1975. Plans for a new church hall were drawn up in the late 1970s but a lack of funds halted construction. It was not until 1991 that planning and fundraising began in earnest for a new hall. A groundbreaking ceremony was held 21 March 1993. The completed hall was dedicated 15 June 1993. The hall mortgage was burned on 18 September 1994. In 2000, the parish saved a set of stained glass windows as well as some solid oak pews from St. Mary`s Anglican Church in Point du Bois after its closure.
Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984, 1995, 1998 and 2005.
Scope and content
The records of St James held at the Diocesan Archives include Canonical Documents (1905-1915); Titles (1905-1953); Sacramental Register (1904-1943); Record of Services (1941-1969); Vestry Minutes (1938-1982); still images; Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Canonical Documents, Titles and the Sacramental Register are located in the Upper Vault. Record of Services and Minutes are held in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title in the Still Images Collection.
Availability of other formats
The Sacramental Register is also available on microfilm reel #1.
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: CD of 100th Anniversary Photos held in the Upper Vault.
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description