Title and statement of responsibility area
Bay Street United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1920 - 1939 (Creation)
Physical description area
2 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bay Street United Church existed as part of the New Canadian Institute / Church of All Nations in the Ontario community of Port Arthur, now known as Thunder Bay. The New Canadian Institute was established to help Finnish and Scandinavian immigrants. An extension to the Institute, located on the corner of Bay Street and Winnipeg Avenue, was dedicated November 13, 1927 and it was around this time that regular services for the immigrants began. Rev. A.B. Simpson, Superintendent of New Canadian Work, brought forward a motion at Presbytery to build a chapel at the New Canadian Institute "solely for the purpose of worship." The Institute officially changed its name to the Church of All Nations on April 3, 1929 with an interim session consisting of representatives from St. Paul's, Trinity and Knox United Churches. The first reference to the Church of All Nations as "Bay Street United Church" appeared in the Superior Presbytery Minutes of September 11, 1934, and afterwards the two names seem to be interchangeable. The church work began to falter after the departure of Rev. Simpson in 1935. By 1940, a minister from Wayside was serving the congregation. A motion for St. Paul's and Trinity United Churches to take over the work at Bay Street and the property sold first appears in the Presbytery minutes of February 11, 1943. That motion was deferred and instead a grant of $389 was provided for repairs and a new charge of Current River/Bay Street/Fourth Avenue was formed on April 1, 1945. Unfortunately this arrangement did not last long. When the motion to discontinue the work at Bay Street and sell the property was once again put forward on September 24, 1946, it was passed. Bay Street United Church closed its doors on December 31 of that year. The property was sold in 1947.
The records of Bay Street United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Cambrian Presbytery in 2002.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Bay Street United Church include: a Sacramental Register pertaining to Baptisms (1920-1938), Marriages (1920-1939), and Burials (1920-1937); and financial records including receipts and expenditures (1933-1938).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Private Register of Rev. Robert Dewar, Missionary-at-Large for the Superior Presbytery, for Baptisms dating from 1923 - 1928.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description