Title and statement of responsibility area
Balsam Bay, St Luke fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.006
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
9 cm textual material
11 still images
11 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Services began in Balsam Bay in the late 1880s. Worship was held in the local school house. In 1884, a Mr. M. Graigie donated land for a church. E. Durby also donated a parcel of land for a cemetery. The church, however, was not built until the 1920s. It was constructed of logs and the pews were handmade. A bell tower was added to the church in 1959. Balsam Bay, along with Grand Marais (OW.032), Poplar Park (OW.072), and Victoria Beach (OW.097) received pastoral care from Scanterbury (OW.085). From 1970-1974, Balsam Bay was under the pastoral care of the Diocese of Keewatin. From 1975-1980, Balsam Bay was part of the Selkirk Area Ministry. From 1981 to the present, Balsam Bay was part of the Matheson Deanery Team Ministry - Eastern Beaches with Grand Marais and Victoria Beach (OW.097). As of 2009, Balsam Bay entered the process of disestablishment. The church building, lands and cemetery are to be turned over to the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. The congregation is worshipping at Grand Marais.
Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984; 1998; and 2010.
Scope and content
The records of St Luke held at the Diocesan Archives include: Titles (1921-1975); Solicitor's File (1956-1957); Plans (1958); Sacramental Registers (1935-2005); Record of Service Book (1961-2006); still images (1955-2001); Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Titles, Plans and research files are located in the Upper Vault, as well as Sacramental Registers. All other files and volumes are held in the Lower Vault. Photographs are filed by title in the Still Images - Rural Parishes Collection, also held in the Lower Vault.
Availability of other formats
The Sacramental Registers, with the exception of Register #3, are also available on microfilm roll #1.
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish registers is restricted to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also the Scanterbury, St Philip Registers #1-5 for Baptism, Marriage and Burial entries. See also East Side of the Red, 1884-1984: Rural Municipality of St. Clements.
Further accruals expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Scanterbury, St Philip (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description