Fonds Acc: 78 - 7 - Austin Presbyterian Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Austin Presbyterian Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 78 - 7

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1898 - 1921 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 volumes of textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Austin Presbyterian Church existed in the Manitoba community of Austin, west of Portage la Prairie in the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk, from 1889 to 1917. The mission was formed on November 4, 1887 with The Rev. Hugh McKellar of High Bluff in charge. It was organized as a congregation on March 3, 1889 with Rev. Daniel Stalker of Gladstone. That same year, a church was built, with the opening service being held on December 29, 1889. In 1900, Austin became connected with Rosehill and Elkpark but Rosehill became part of a new charge a year later, to be replaced by Melvin. In 1902, the congregation became self-sustaining with Austin, Sidney and Elk Park as one charge. In 1903, Sidney was removed and Austin became connected with Melvin. In 1911, the charge included Pine Creek, Melvin and Emmaline. Emmaline was dropped in 1914. Austin Presbyterian Church and the Methodist congregation formed a Local Union in 1917. From 1922 to 1924, the charge was known as Austin - Melville. In 1925, the Austin Union Church officially joined the United Church of Canada to become Austin United Church.

Custodial history

The records of Austin Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Austin - Sidney Pastoral charge in 1978.

Scope and content

The records of Austin Presbyterian Church held at the conference archives include: Communion Roll (1900 - 1907); records of the Board of Managers (1899 - 1921); and financial records (1898 - 1908).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the records of Austin United Church for further material pertaining to Austin Presbyterian Church and Austin Union Church.

Related materials


No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres