Title and statement of responsibility area
Augustine Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.5m textual records, photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Augustine Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1887 to 1925. Early Presbyterian services in the Fort Rouge district were held by a student minister in the Pembina Road Schoolhouse. Presbyterians and Methodists involved in the original Fort Rouge mission functioned in union until membership grew large enough for each congregation to support itself. Knox Presbyterian Church of Winnipeg aided in the establishment of the Augustine Presbyterian congregation. The original Augustine Presbyterian Church was built on River Avenue in 1887. Rev. A. B. Baird acted as part-time minister until 1891, when Rev. R. G. MacBeth was called as a full time minister to the church. In 1903, a new Augustine Church structure was built on River Avenue. Designed by architect J. H. G. Russell, the impressive gothic structure received great attention within the city. In 1925, Augustine Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada, becoming Augustine United Church.
The records of Augustine Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1970 and 1985.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Augustine Presbyterian Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Marriages, 1892-1906, and Burials, 1904-1906; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including communion registers and minutes, 1887-1918; records of the Board of Managers, including minutes, 1912-1923; records of Annual Congregational Meetings and Annual Reports, 1895-1921; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and church property, including financial and legal statements, 1918-1922; records of lay associations, including the Ladies Aid and Women's Missionary Society, 1917-1923; and reference material, including correspondence, architectural drawings and photographs, 1903-1910.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of Augustine United Church for records pertaining to Augustine Presbyterian Church dating from 1906.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description