Augustine Presbyterian Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Augustine Presbyterian Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Augustine Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1887 to 1925. Early Presbyterian services in the Fort Rouge district were held by a student minister in the Pembina Road Schoolhouse. Presbyterians and Methodists involved in the original Fort Rouge mission functioned in union until membership grew large enough for each congregation to support itself. Knox Presbyterian Church of Winnipeg aided in the establishment of the Augustine Presbyterian congregation. The original Augustine Presbyterian Church was built on River Avenue in 1887. Rev. A. B. Baird acted as part-time minister until 1891, when Rev. R. G. MacBeth was called as a full time minister to the church. In 1903, a new Augustine Church structure was built on River Avenue. Designed by architect J. H. G. Russell, the impressive gothic structure received great attention within the city. In 1925, Augustine Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada, becoming Augustine United Church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places