Fonds OW.003 - Ashern, St Michael fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ashern, St Michael fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1912-1982 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

14.0 cm textual records
7 still images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Ashern Mission was opened by theology student, W. Finch and Rev. J.P. Smitheman of Oak Point on 23 April 1911. Services were held in homes throughout that summer in Ashern, as well as in Dog Lake and the Moosehorn District until the fall, when W. Finch returned to St John's College. A church was commissioned on 14 July 1911 and on 30 June 1912, St Michael's Church was formally opened. Throughout its history, St Michael has always been associated with St John, Eriksdale (OW.025). At the end of the 1960s, the Anglican services stopped at St Michael's and the congregation was served by the Lutheran Church. The church was locked in 1976. The building was then moved to the Ashern Museum grounds in 1978 and an annual anniversary service is held there in the summer. The original land was sold in 1981.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984.

Scope and content

The records of St Michael held at the Diocesan Archives includes: Titles (1980-1982); Sacramental Registers (1912-1966); Record of Service books (1912-1937); Vestry Books (1938-1989); still images. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Sacramental Registers are held in the Upper Vault. All remaining files and bound volumes are stored in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title in the Still Images - Rural Parish Collection. *Register E Has been returned to the congregation.

Availability of other formats

Microfilm. Reel #1, Parish Registers. See Restrictions. Microfilm is not available for consultation or inter library loan.

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers limited to archives staff. No other restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also Eriksdale, St John (OW.025). See also the General Missionary Registers

Related materials


None expected.

Language of material note


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres