Fonds Volume 349, microfilm reel 59 - Arnold Community Church Fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Arnold Community Church Fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA CMBS Volume 349, microfilm reel 59

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1942-1978 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

1 mm of textual records
2 photos
1 microfilm reel

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Histoire administrative

The Arnold Community Church (Arnold, BC) traces its roots to a small gathering in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Hamm in 1942. The Hamms were among several new settlers to the community that was then called Perrigo – named after John Joseph Perrigo who originally owned a large piece of land in the area. Mr. Perrigo divided up his property and invited the Mennonites to settle there, viewing them as a hardworking nationality. In these early years, about 20 people – most of whom were children – gathered in the Hamm household to worship and pray. The group was named the Perrigo MB Church, and was affiliated with the Yarrow MB Church. In 1945, the church was renamed Arnold MB Church, after a creek that runs through part of the property. Unfortunately, however, the name change annoyed Mr. Perrigo, who had originally donated the property to the church. As a result, Mr. Perrigo demanded the church pay him $600 for the once donated land. Despite this setback, the church continued to grow, and, by the beginning of 1948, the Arnold church had 225 members. From that point on, however, membership slowly declined, as many of the young people moved away seeking opportunities outside the community. It was not long before those who attended the first gatherings at the Hamm household began plans for a church building. Early in 1943, construction of a 30' x 40' basement began. Times were hard and getting the money was a challenge. Fortunately, many of the men of the church donated their labor. By July of 1944, an additional structure at the east end of the church had to be erected to accommodate the congregation's rapid growth. Several other construction projects followed, including an upper sanctuary in 1946, a front foyer and two washrooms in 1965, a remodeling of the interior in 1977, and another addition in 1987. Several ministers have served the congregation as leader, including the following: Johann P. Braun (1943–1948), J.J. Klassen (1949–1952), Is. P. Görtzen (1953–1957), Gustav P. Ratzlaff (1958–1965), John J. Rempel (1967), Peter C. Penner (1968–1973), Harry R. Loewen (1974–1979), Wilfred Richert (1980–1983), Syl Dirks (1984–1987), Irvin Penner (1988–1990), Mark Burch (1991–1996), Douglas Braun (1997–2000), and Robert Dyck (2002– ). In 1988 Arnold MB Church was renamed to Arnold Community Church.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

This fonds contains a history of the church, a publication of their 25th anniversary bulletin, membership and family news, minutes from congregational meetings and church council meetings, testimonies of baptismal candidates, Sunday School, Christian endeavor and women's missionary society information.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

no restrictions on access

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Finding aid consists of a file list.

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés