Fonds Volume 349, microfilm reel 59 - Arnold Community Church Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Arnold Community Church Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS Volume 349, microfilm reel 59

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1942-1978 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 mm of textual records
2 photos
1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Arnold Community Church (Arnold, BC) traces its roots to a small gathering in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Hamm in 1942. The Hamms were among several new settlers to the community that was then called Perrigo – named after John Joseph Perrigo who originally owned a large piece of land in the area. Mr. Perrigo divided up his property and invited the Mennonites to settle there, viewing them as a hardworking nationality. In these early years, about 20 people – most of whom were children – gathered in the Hamm household to worship and pray. The group was named the Perrigo MB Church, and was affiliated with the Yarrow MB Church. In 1945, the church was renamed Arnold MB Church, after a creek that runs through part of the property. Unfortunately, however, the name change annoyed Mr. Perrigo, who had originally donated the property to the church. As a result, Mr. Perrigo demanded the church pay him $600 for the once donated land. Despite this setback, the church continued to grow, and, by the beginning of 1948, the Arnold church had 225 members. From that point on, however, membership slowly declined, as many of the young people moved away seeking opportunities outside the community. It was not long before those who attended the first gatherings at the Hamm household began plans for a church building. Early in 1943, construction of a 30' x 40' basement began. Times were hard and getting the money was a challenge. Fortunately, many of the men of the church donated their labor. By July of 1944, an additional structure at the east end of the church had to be erected to accommodate the congregation's rapid growth. Several other construction projects followed, including an upper sanctuary in 1946, a front foyer and two washrooms in 1965, a remodeling of the interior in 1977, and another addition in 1987. Several ministers have served the congregation as leader, including the following: Johann P. Braun (1943–1948), J.J. Klassen (1949–1952), Is. P. Görtzen (1953–1957), Gustav P. Ratzlaff (1958–1965), John J. Rempel (1967), Peter C. Penner (1968–1973), Harry R. Loewen (1974–1979), Wilfred Richert (1980–1983), Syl Dirks (1984–1987), Irvin Penner (1988–1990), Mark Burch (1991–1996), Douglas Braun (1997–2000), and Robert Dyck (2002– ). In 1988 Arnold MB Church was renamed to Arnold Community Church.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains a history of the church, a publication of their 25th anniversary bulletin, membership and family news, minutes from congregational meetings and church council meetings, testimonies of baptismal candidates, Sunday School, Christian endeavor and women's missionary society information.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

no restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid consists of a file list.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres