Title and statement of responsibility area
Argyle, St Oswald fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.002
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
4.0 cm of textual records
34 still images
34 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Anglican services began in Argyle immediately following the completion of the Argyle Schoolhouse in 1882. The congregation, then part of the Woodlans Mission, contributed to the construction of a rectory in 1879, located on the northeast quarter of Section 20. The parish of St Oswald was formed by the Right Reverend Robert Machray on 21 July 1886. Land was purchased in 1887 and St Oswald's Church was built in 1902-03. The church was consecrated by Archbishop SP Matheson on 3 July 1910. The Parsonage was sold in the 1930s to H. J. Procter through Wm. Smith and became part of the farm buildings on SW ¼ 27, 4-lW. The Woman's Auxiliary was formed in 1930. St Oswald's Parish was part of the Woodlands/Stony Mountain Area Parishes, along with St George, Woodlands (OW.105), St Michael, Grosse Isle (OW.034), St Luke, Poplar Heights (OW.071), and Christ Church, Stony Mountain (OW.093). The church was completely renovated in the early 1950s. The exterior was stuccoed, the interior was repainted and the roof was shingled. A new altar was also built. Regular services were held until 1967. Annual services were then held up until 1987. By the 1990s, the church was no longer being used and had been vandalized. It was deconsecrated on 3 May 1998 and demolished later that year. A cairn was erected on the cemetery site.
Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1998 and 2002.
Scope and content
The records of St Oswald, Argyle held at the Diocesan Archives include: Canonical Documents (1886-1998); Titles (1895-1914); Diocesan Correspondence (1913-1998); Record of Service Book (1959-1967); still images. Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Photographs transferred to still images collection.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Certificate of Title is held in Oversize Storage in the Lower Vault. The remaining files and volumes are held in the Lower Vault.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Use of parish registers limited to archives staff. No other restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: Registers from Erinview, All Saints, and Woodlands, St George contain information about Argyle, St Oswald.
Associated material: Black and white photographs, c. 1918, Provincial Archives of Manitoba, RLC, #26, 27, 28, 29.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description