Title and statement of responsibility area
Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church Fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CMBS BF509; Microfilm: R14, pp. 977-1561; R15, pp. 1-156, Volume 601, 1285, 1286.
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
83 cm of textual records
1 microfilm reel
1 microfilm reel
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church, located in the Eagle Creek area, is a member of the Canadian Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches, Northern District. Early pioneers from Kiev, Russia began to settle in the Eagle Creek District from 1897 to 1903. These pioneers were Christians who had been persecuted for their faith in Russia and had been baptized, sometimes secretly, by the Baptist Christians in Russia. The Arelee pioneers built two places for worship because travelling long distances with oxen was inconvenient. The first baptismal service was held in 1903. With increased attendance and changing circumstances, the two places were amalgamated. In 1908, two local men, Apalon Melashenko and Luka Krowchenko, were ordained to the ministry by Elder David Dyck. The first church building was erected on S.E. section 12, Township 38, Range 12, the present site of the cemetery. In 1917 this place of worship became too small and the old place of worship was sold and a new one was erected. In 1946 the present building in the town of Arelee was built. Leading ministers of the congregation have been Apalon Melashenko (1908-1940), Luka Krowchenko (1908-1945), Sidor Motiko (1945-1960), David B. Wiens (served as assistant to the previous two pastors), Pete Unrau (assistant to the pastor 1957-1958), David Bergen (1960-1964), Mark Gripp (1964-1967), Waldemar Gripp (1967-1971), John Siemens (1972-1974), William Danko (1975-1977), Rueben Andres (1977-1984), John Willems (1984-1988), Harry Schmidt (1989-1991), Garth Fisher (1992-1993), Archie Jantzen (1994-2008).
Many of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the following series: Membership and family records; minutes of congregational meetings; financial records; and historical records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series description and file list available.
Online version of finding aid available at: http://mbconf.ca/mbstudies/guide/sk/arelee.htm
Language of material note
Much German. Some Russian.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description