Title and statement of responsibility area
Amalgamation of Wesley & Manitoba Colleges
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UWA UC-UC-5
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1912 - 1938 (Creation)
- United College
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
United College was formed in 1938 by an amalgamation between Wesley College and Manitoba College. The two colleges had enjoyed informal unity for two periods in the past, and a formal unity was convenient due to several causes: their physical proximity, their long co-operation in instruction, the sale of the Manitoba College building, and the formation of the United Church of Canada which incorporated the separating denominations of the colleges, Methodist and Presbytarian respectively.
United College took the site of Wesley College as its headquarters, and added several buildings to the campus over its existence: Bryce Hall in 1951, Manitoba and Ashdown Halls in 1959, and Graham and Riddell Halls in 1962. Eventually, United College sought incorporation as the University of Winnipeg in 1967.
Records were transferred to the University of Winnipeg Archives from unknown custody somewhere in the University of Winnipeg, and subsequently arranged and described, in 1980 [Files 2 and 3] and 1982 [File 1].
Scope and content
Series consists of materials related to the administrative co-operation and eventual union between Manitoba and Wesley Colleges: co-operations occurred in 1913 and 1926, and full union began in 1938. Series is divided into three files. The first contains minutes of meetings of the faculties of the two colleges, respectively or in joint committees, as well as drafts and reports on the details of co-operation: covering all three dates. The latter two files contains correspondence among the two college's administration, research, and drafts of agreements leading up to the final 1938 union, including a final published copy of the Bill.