Fonds OW.001 - Altamont, St Barnabas fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Altamont, St Barnabas fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1910-2005 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

23 cm textual material
3 still images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The parish St Barnabas was established in Musselboro, Manitoba, now known as Altamont, on 20 April 1886 by Archbishop Machray. A church was built and consecrated on 16 June 1918 by Archbishop Glover. St Barnabas, from its inception, had always shared a minister with St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051) and St Matthew, New Haven (OW.064) and became part of what is called the Pembina Hills Parishes, which includes St Barnabas; St Paul, Clearwater (OW.016); St Andrew, Crystal City (OW.019); St Mary, Kaleida (OW.043); St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051); St Matthew, New Haven (OW.065); St Luke, Pembina Crossing (OW.069); and St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound (OW.070). In 1990, following the departure of one clergyman (the parishes had previously been served by two fulltime ministers) the parishes undertook a Total Ministry program. Sixteen members of the parishes took courses that would enable them as lay readers to assist and at times lead in worship. On 23 February 1992, they were commissioned as lay ministers in a Commissioning Service held at St John the Baptist in Manitou. In Altamont, lay ministers now take morning prayer service and the Priest presides over Holy Communion services once a month. In 2003, facing massive repairs, the congregation of St. Barnabas moved to the Altamont United Church and held Anglican services every other Sunday. On 9 April 2005, Bishop Phillips deconsecrated and secularized the church building. The church was then sold to Robert Milne and Alana Falk of Morden. The altar, offering plate and credence shelf were donated to St Luke, Pembina Crossing. A tall brass cross was donated to St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound. The Bishop's Chair and Prayer Desk kneeler were given to local carpenter Fred Crampton. The Prayer Seat was given to Gerry Hoskins. Pews were sold to former parishioners and memorial plaques were offered back to the donating families. Several articles were retained by the congregation to be used in their new home, including the pulpit, baptismal font, candlesticks, hymn board, communion vessels, hangings, and a small brass cross.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984.

Scope and content

The records of St Barnabas held at the Diocese Archives include:
Canonical Files (1918-2005);
Titles (1964);
Sacramental Registers (1911-1944);
Records of Service (1910-1977);
Baptism register (7 Jan 1909 - 13 May 1994);
Marriage register (29 Oct 1919 - 23 July 2005);
Burial register (22 Feb 1912 - 21 March 2016);
Minutes of Annual Meetings (1910-1987);
Ledger Book (1919-1954);
W.A. Minutes (1919-1961);
W.A. Pembina Deanery Minutes (1919-1933);
Junior W.A. Minutes (1948-1950);
A.C.W. Minute Book (1966);
W.A. Financial Records (1919-1948);
Financial Ledger (1947-1950);
W.A. Ledger Book (1959-1997);
Little Helpers Record Book (1942-1956); Guest Book (1966-1967);
W.A. Parochial Schedules, Annual Reports;
Still images (photographs);
Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical files, Titles, and Research files are kept in the Upper Vault, as well as the Parish Registers. The remaining files are stored in the Lower Vault.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish registers is restricted to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See Musselboro, St Barnabas (OW.061) for the Deed of Formation.

Related materials


Further accruals expected.

Language of material note


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres