Altamont, St Barnabas

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Altamont, St Barnabas

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The parish St Barnabas was established in Musselboro, Manitoba, now known as Altamont, on 20 April 1886 by Archbishop Machray. A church was built and consecrated on 16 June 1918 by Archbishop Glover. St Barnabas, from its inception, had always shared a minister with St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051) and St Matthew, New Haven (OW.064) and became part of what is called the Pembina Hills Parishes, which includes St Barnabas; St Paul, Clearwater (OW.016); St Andrew, Crystal City (OW.019); St Mary, Kaleida (OW.043); St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051); St Matthew, New Haven (OW.065); St Luke, Pembina Crossing (OW.069); and St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound (OW.070). In 1990, following the departure of one clergyman (the parishes had previously been served by two fulltime ministers) the parishes undertook a Total Ministry program. Sixteen members of the parishes took courses that would enable them as lay readers to assist and at times lead in worship. On 23 February 1992, they were commissioned as lay ministers in a Commissioning Service held at St John the Baptist in Manitou. In Altamont, lay ministers now take morning prayer service and the Priest presides over Holy Communion services once a month. In 2003, facing massive repairs, the congregation of St. Barnabas moved to the Altamont United Church and held Anglican services every other Sunday. On 9 April 2005, Bishop Phillips deconsecrated and secularized the church building. The church was then sold to Robert Milne and Alana Falk of Morden. The altar, offering plate and credence shelf were donated to St Luke, Pembina Crossing. A tall brass cross was donated to St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound. The Bishop's Chair and Prayer Desk kneeler were given to local carpenter Fred Crampton. The Prayer Seat was given to Gerry Hoskins. Pews were sold to former parishioners and memorial plaques were offered back to the donating families. Several articles were retained by the congregation to be used in their new home, including the pulpit, baptismal font, candlesticks, hymn board, communion vessels, hangings, and a small brass cross.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places