Title and statement of responsibility area
Alonsa United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 2006-48
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
13 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Alonsa United Church, located in the Manitoban community of Alonsa, northeast of McCreary, was first opened 14 August 1938 and dedicated later that year on 21 October by Reverend J. MacKenzie and Reverend C. King. Alonsa was initially in a field with Birdina, Bluff Creek and Geddes. Student ministers were responsible for worship. During the late 1940s, the United Church in Alonsa acted co-operatively with the local Anglican congregation. In 1957, Alonsa joined with Glenella before becoming a point on the Langruth charge with Amaranth. In 1963, the Plumas-Lakeshore Pastoral charge was formed with points at Alonsa, Amaranth, Langruth and Plumas. Glenella was added in 1970. In 1982, the field was reorganized and split into two. The Plumas charge consisted of Plumas and Glenella, while the remaining three congregations, Alonsa, Amaranth and Langruth formed the Lakeshore charge. In 1993 Alonsa joined with Kelwood and McCreary to form the Alonsa/Kelwood/McCreary Pastoral Charge in Agassiz Presbytery. Alonsa United Church closed in 2006 and the church was sold to the local museum later that year.
The records of the Alonsa United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Alonsa United Church in 2006.
Scope and content
The records of the Alonsa United Church held at the conference archives include the following: a Sacramental Register pertaining to Marriages (1941-1997), Baptisms (1939-2005), Burials (1952-2006), Ministers (1938-2006) and Membership (1956-1997); Communion Roll (1938-1942); records of the congregation (1938-1960, 1961-1982); Correspondence re: Minister and Church Loan (1939-1952); Correspondence re: Building and Church (1938); financial records (1938-1944); minutes of the Mission Band (1957-1958, 1958-1959; 1959-1960); history of the congregation (1988, 2006); and an annual report (1984).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory available.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description