Title and statement of responsibility area
All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Ex-35; 80-15; 83-9
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.25m textual records, photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church existed in Winnipeg from 1925 until 1970. The Euclid Avenue Institute (which later became Sutherland Mission) was built on the corner of Euclid and Sutherland in 1908. The Euclid Avenue Institute was commonly referred to simply as the 'Institute'. In 1913, the Institute was officially renamed after Sutherland Avenue. Early services of the Sutherland Mission were conducted in Polish. A Tuesday Evening Social and Literary Program was one of the earliest community programs offered by the Institute, along with a Boys Club. The Sutherland Avenue Mission/Institute joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming Sutherland Avenue United Church, though it remained commonly referred to as Sutherland Mission, Sutherland Institute, and All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue. Sutherland United Church, along with Stella United Church, remained under the guise of All Peoples' Mission for the duration of its existence. Stella and Sutherland were temporarily joined in the All Peoples' Mission by both Maclean United Church and St. Giles United Church. In 1967, one of the larger rooms within the Sutherland structure, located at 119 Sutherland Avenue, was renovated into a chapel. The congregation of Sutherland Avenue United Church disbanded around 1970. Winnipeg Presbytery evaluated and re-directed the work of All Peoples' Mission during 1971-72 and as a result, the Sutherland Mission was put on a year to year holding status, while most of the work of the Stella Mission became incorporated under PACT (People Acting on Concerns Together). In the summer of 1972, further meetings were held to consider the fate of the Sutherland mission station. The Sutherland Investigative Group was organized, and the mission evolved into a community centre known as the Sutherland Activity Centre. The building was also later used by the Point Douglas Co-operative as a community centre.
The records of All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers between 1970 and 1983.
Scope and content
The surviving records of All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church are arranged in the following series: records of the Official Board, 1951-1958; miscellaneous correspondence, minutes, financial records, agreements and reports*, 1925-1951; records pertaining to track meets, 1925; and reference material, including an honour roll and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
- Records described as 'miscellaneous' were created by various stations, congregations, groups and individuals within All Peoples' Mission. These records were donated and accessioned collectively and have been described collectively within the All Peoples' Mission fonds, All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church fonds and All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description