Title and statement of responsibility area
All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Ex-35; 80-15; 83-9
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.25m textual records, photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church existed in Winnipeg from 1925 until 1970. The original site of the Stella Avenue Mission was purchased by the Methodist City Mission Board in 1895. In 1904, a mission for Slavic immigrants was established on Stella and Powers (in the former Bethlehem Church structure which had been purchased in 1895), under the direction of Jaromir V. Kovar and Rev. Hamilton Wigle. The 'Mission for foreigners' was renamed Bethlehem Slavic Mission in 1905, and was eventually renamed simply Bethlehem upon moving from Stella to Burrows Avenue. In 1909, a permanent structure was erected on Stella Avenue to serve as a mission station of All Peoples'. The design of the building was based on the Euclid Avenue Institute, which had been erected the year prior. The structure was well used by the community, especially its programs for women and children. Upon joining the United Church of Canada in 1925, Stella Avenue Mission became the Stella Avenue United Church, though it remained commonly referred to as Stella Mission or All Peoples' Stella Avenue. In 1939, a room in the Stella Avenue building was renovated in order to serve as an auditorium for the congregation. Stella Avenue United Church, along with Sutherland United Church, remained under the guise of All Peoples' Mission for the duration of its existence. Stella and Sutherland were temporarily joined in All Peoples' Mission by both Maclean United Church and St. Giles United Chuch. During the latter years of All Peoples' (the 1960's), the work of the Mission was centred out of St. Giles. By 1970, the congregation of All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church had disbanded, and the manse at 712 Alfred Avenue was sold, due to declining neighbourhood conditions. Winnipeg Presbytery evaluated and re-directed the work of All Peoples' Mission during 1971-72 and as a result, most of the work of the Stella Mission became incorporated under PACT (People Acting on Concerns Together), as of July 1 1972. PACT functioned until 1978, when it was replaced by the North End Community Ministry (NECM).
The records of All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church came to the conference archives on Manitoba and Northwest Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1970 and 1983.
Scope and content
The surviving records of All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1960-1969, Marriages, 1921-1938, 1961-1969, and Burials, 1961-1969; records of the Board of Managers, including minutes, 1959-1960; records of Annual Congregational Meetings and Annual Reports, 1959-1970; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and church property, including financial records, 1961-1965; miscellaneous correspondence, minutes, financial records, agreements and reports*, 1925-1951; records of the Pastoral Relations Committee, 1965, 1969; records of lay associations, including the Women's Missionary Society, United Church Women, Primary Club and Monday Club, 1954-1970; records of the Charity Fund, including financial records, 1960-1963; and reference material, including photographs, histories, clippings, a Ukrainian newspaper, music book, and an honour roll.
Immediate source of acquisition
- Records described as 'miscellaneous' were created by various stations, congregations, groups and individuals within All Peoples' Mission. These records were donated and accessioned collectively and have been described collectively within the All Peoples' Mission fonds, All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church fonds and All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description