Title and statement of responsibility area
All Peoples' Mission fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Ex-35; 80-15; 83-9
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.5m textual records + other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
All Peoples' Mission existed in Winnipeg from 1899 to 1925. The successors of All Peoples' Mission were All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church and All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church (though collectively these continued to be referred to as 'All Peoples' Mission'). The Mission originated as a Sunday School under the leadership of Dolly McGuire. Classes began in a lean-to constructed up against McDougall Church at the corner of King and Dufferin Avenue. The popularity of the classes inspired the Methodist City Mission Board to officially form a mission for new Canadians immigrants in 1890. The mission, known as the McDougall Mission, rented space on Main Street to accommodate expanding attendance. When the McDougall Methodist Church constructed a new church structure in 1893, the McDougall Mission took over the old McDougall Church and moved it to Austin Street, within close proximity of the CPR station. A sign was eventually attached to the mission which read "A House of Prayer for All People" in eight languages. The Mission took its name from a passage in Isaiah 5, 7: "Mine house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples". Some of the first ministers supplied by conference to the Mission included Richard L. Morrison, Alfred A. Thompson, Hamilton Wigle, and James S. Woodsworth. In 1901, All Peoples' bought a church structure from the Congregationalists on Maple Street, located between Higgins and MacDonald. The Maple Street Church would serve as the first branch station of All Peoples' Mission in Winnipeg. Rev. R. Morrison became the first Superintendent of the mission and the name 'Maple Street Mission' was adopted. In 1904, a mission for Slavic immigrants was established on Stella and Powers (in the former Bethlehem Church structure which had been purchased in 1895), under the direction of Jaromir V. Kovar and Rev. Hamilton Wigle. The 'Mission for foreigners' was renamed Bethlehem Slavic Mission in 1905, and was eventually renamed simply Bethlehem upon moving from Stella to Burrows Avenue. In 1907,the work of all the mission stations was officially united under the name of All Peoples' Mission and J.S. Woodsworth was appointed Superintendent. The following year, a mission/institute was built on the corner of Euclid and Sutherland. The Euclid Avenue Institute was commonly referred to simply as the 'Institute'. The successful design of the Euclid Avenue building inspired the erection of a similar structure on the corner of Stella Avenue and Powers Avenue in 1909. The 1909 minutes of the Methodist Conference of Manitoba recognize five mission stations of All Peoples': Maple Street, Stella Avenue, Euclid Ave, Burrows Ave and the Exhibition grounds (though the Exhibition station was dropped after 1910, and the Burrows station was removed after 1913). Through its various mission stations, All Peoples' Mission offered kindergarten classes, Christian Education, swimming classes, Night School, Bible Classes, as well as several clubs, including CGIT, Boys Club, North End Women's Club/Council, and a Young Peoples' Society. The structures on both Euclid Avenue and Stella Avenue offered 'swimming baths' to the community. Services at mission stations were held in a variety of languages, including English, Polish, Bohemian and German. In 1913, the Euclid Avenue Institute was renamed after Sutherland Avenue. In 1917, Maple Street Mission became an independent station separate from All Peoples'. Rev. J. Shaver became the superintendent of the mission in 1921 and the name 'City Missions' temporarily replaced 'All Peoples' in describing the urban, Methodist missions of Winnipeg. Maclean Mission temporarily came under the wing of City Missions, before becoming a permanent, independent station. In 1925, Methodist and Presbyterian missions came into union under the United Church of Canada. After church union, the Maple Street Mission united with Point Douglas United Church and All Peoples' Mission included two permanent mission stations at Stella Avenue and Sutherland.
The records of All Peoples' Mission came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1970 and 1983.
Scope and content
The surviving records of All Peoples' Mission are arranged in the following series: records of the Board of Managers, including minutes, reports and financial records, 1909-1925; Annual Reports, 1907-1925(n.i.); records pertaining to Girls Work, Boys Work, and Deaconess Work, 1909-1924; correspondence of J.S. Woodsworth, 1907-1916; miscellaneous correspondence, minutes, financial records, agreements and reports*, 1907-1925; and reference material, including correspondence, architectural plans and agreements, histories, clippings and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
*Records described as 'miscellaneous' were created by various stations, congregations, groups and individuals within All Peoples' Mission. These records were donated and accessioned collectively and have been described collectively within the All Peoples' Mission fonds, All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church fonds and All Peoples' Sutherland Avenue United Church fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of All Peoples' Stella Avenue United Church for records pertaining to All Peoples' Mission dating from 1921.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description