Title and statement of responsibility area
Alexander Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 80 - 11
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1891 - 1918 (Creation)
Physical description area
4 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Alexander Presbyterian Church existed in the Manitoba community of Alexander, west of Brandon in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead, from 1887 to 1919. The early Presbyterian worship services were held in the Alexander railway station approximately 1881 with The Rev. William Hodnett as the minister. A Presbyterian Church was built in 1887. Ministers serving the charge included Rev. George Lockhart (1891 - 1895), Rev. C. McDairmid (1895 - 1897), and Rev. John Calder (1898). Rev. George Lockhart returned in 1907 with Mrs. Lockhart as the Sunday School teacher and orchestra conductor. In 1908 a spire with an annex was added to the church building enlarging the floor space for the Sunday School. The Rev. Hyslop Dickson was the minister when Alexander Presbyterian Church formed a Local Union with Alexander Methodist Church in 1919. Alexander Presbyterian Church continued to be used as Alexander Union Church.
The records of Alexander Presbyterian Church came to came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Alexander Pastoral charge in April of 1980.
Scope and content
The records of Alexander Presbyterian Church held at the conference archives include: Communion Roll (1892 - 1918); records of the Session (1891 - 1918); financial records (1902 - 1918); records of the Ladies Aid Society (1913 - 1917); and an annual report (1918).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of the Alexander Union Church and Alexander United Church for further material pertaining to Alexander Presbyterian Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description