Fonds Acc: 80 - 11 - Alexander Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alexander Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 80 - 11

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1901 - 1919 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 volume, 1 folder textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Alexander Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Alexander, west of Brandon in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead, from 1886 to 1919. The first Methodist church services were held in the home of Mr. G.M. Yeoman and were conducted by Mr. Thomas Lawson of Brandon. Mr. Lawson was a student who conducted worship services in Alexander and Griswold in 1881. A Methodist Church was built in 1886 with lay preachers, Mr. G.O. Buchannan and Mr. James McEwen Sr. conducting the services. The church was also built by Mr. James McEwen. In 1893 The Rev. J.C. Walker conducted regular worship services in Dalton School for several years. The charge included Alexander, Griswold, Shilo (South Kenton), Rowan(now Bradwardine), and Ryerson. The Rev. J.W. Ridd served the charge until a Local Union was formed in 1919 between Alexander Methodist Church and the Alexander Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterian church was used for the Alexander Union Church.

Custodial history

The records of the Alexander Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Alexander Pastoral charge in April of 1980.

Scope and content

The records of Alexander Methodist Church held at the conference archives include: records of the Stewards (1912 - 1919); and financial records (1901, 1904).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the records of the Alexander Union Church, Alexander United Church and Oak Lake Methodist Church for further material pertaining to Alexander Methodist Church.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres