Fonds 2006.02 - Alba R Calvert fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alba R Calvert fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CPA 2006.02

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949-1953 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

20 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1911-1988)

Biographical history

Alba R Calvert was born to Burnham & Mary Calvert on September 10, 1911 on the Calvert home farm in Pleasant Point in the RM of North Cypress. He attended the Pleasant Point School till 1919, when the family moved to Winnipeg, where he attended Seven Oaks, Victory & Centennial Schools. The family returned to Carberry in 1927, where he completed his education at Carberry Collegiate Institute. Due to a life-long interest in machinery, he started the John Deere & General Motors agencies and a garage in partnership with D.G.Ramsey at the corner of Fanny St & First Avenue in Carberry. He married in 1939. Shortly afterward, he helped start and ran the CVM Cafe with his wife during WW2, but shortly after the war ended, he sold the Cafe and established Massey-Harris, Chrysler, Lockwood and other dealerships, including a garage and service station at the corner of Main Street and First Avenue in Carberry. He sold the business to Mid Plains Implements in 1979. From 1948 to 1951, he was also a member of Carberry's Town Council, and from 1952 to 1971, he was Mayor of Carberry. In 1960, he helped the Carberry & North Cypress Development Corporation with the purchase of the former British Training Base airfield, on which was developed a large potato processing plant still in operation today. He was a member of the Knox-Zion Presbyterian Church in Carberry, a member of the Oddfellows, and a life member of the Elks. He died on March 8, 1988.

Custodial history

Records were presented to the Carberry Plains Archives by Brent Irwin of Mid Plains Implements, Carberry.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of 10 cm of cancelled cheques, bank orders and various other financial receipts dating from 1949 to 1953 relating to the business, and six books of cheque stubs dating from the same period.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access to these records.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions

Finding aids

Finding aids are available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres