Fonds - Adam Fiddler United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Adam Fiddler United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1897-1961 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder textual materal.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Adam Fiddler United Church has existed in the North-western Ontario community of Sandy Lake since 1942, though missionaries first entered the community in 1900. Rev. F.G. Stevens, a Methodist minister from Oxford House, travelled to meet the people of Sandy Lake at their request, from 1897-1899, and was finally successful in meeting with them in 1900. Due to complications in reaching the community, contact with missionaries was infrequent. A local man, Adam Fiddler, stepped into the role of lay minister, eventually becoming licensed by the church for administering the Sacraments. Fiddler also built a church under his own auspices, though supplies were sent by Rev. Stevens in 1941. The church was finished in 1942. In 1956 a summer school was started in the community, and two years later Jim Synkar, the teacher, became the community's first year-round minister. A new church was built in 1960, as was a manse. Originally part of the Norway House Presbytery, Adam Fiddler United Church was transferred to the Kenora-Rainy River Presbytery in 1957; Kenora-Rainy River became Cambrian Presbytery in 1973. Upon the creation of the Keewatin Presbytery in 1981, Adam Fiddler United Church was transferred there, where it remains to today.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The records of the Adam Fiddler United Church held at the conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario archives include: historical information; and a list of Baptisms performed in 1966.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access to Baptismal records may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aids available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres