Showing 4 results

authority records
Professional employees

de Forest, Claude

  • WAF cdeforest
  • Person
  • 1931-2013

Claude was born in 1931 in Basel, Switzerland to George and Esther De Forest. Immigrating to Canada in 1949, the de Forest family landed in Montreal before settling in Winnipeg in the early fifties. Claude's natural drawing abilities and long family line of architects led him to pursue a BArch from the University of Manitoba in 1955 followed by a Masters in Architecture from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Upon graduation, Claude was hired as a junior designer with the prestigious Eero Saarinen and Associates office outside of Detroit. In 1958, he took an architectural pilgrimage through Asia and it was during this trip that he met his future wife Yoshiko in Kyoto, Japan. They were married in 1960 and returned to Winnipeg where he had begun teaching in the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Manitoba under the Deanship of John A. Russell. He became a Registered Architect, with the Manitoba Association of Architects, in 1962. In 1994, he retired as Full Professor in the Department of Environmental Studies.

Known for his energetic and imaginative teaching style, Claude was also prescient in his teachings of alternative energy sources and ecological awareness. A committed activist and believer in social justice, he was dedicated to disability issues and socially responsible design and was a leading force in the establishment of the Universal Design Institute at the University of Manitoba. Claude taught Environmental Studies at the inner city based Winnipeg Education Centre and served as Executive Director for the Canadian Institute for Barrier Free Design. He was also Chair of the Education Committee for the Canadian Centre on Disability Studies and received the Lifetime Achievement Winnipeg Accessibility Award for community leadership in Universal Design from the City of Winnipeg in 2007.

Claude's connection to Japan led him to organize the Shimizu-Manitoba Architect Exchange Fellowship which hosted Japanese architects for 18 years and sent young Canadian architects to Japan. He also spent two sabbaticals studying and living in Kyoto with Yoshiko where they enjoyed seeing the many sites and visiting with family and friends.

Misericordia General Hospital

  • F2
  • Corporate body
  • 1917-1998

In 1917, Misericordia General Hospital (MGH) was created to serve the growing surgical and health care needs of its surrounding neighbourhoods of Wolseley, River Heights, Crescentwood, and Fort Rouge in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Like its predecessor, Winnipeg Maternity Hospital, MGH was owned and founded by the Misericordia Sisters whose motherhouse was in Montreal. Throughout its existence, The Misericordia Sisters continued to be active in the operations of MGH. Over 45 sisters were involved throughout the 1950s, for example.

In 1917, MGH had 125 beds, fifty bassinets, and fifty medical practitioners. An additional 100 beds were added in 1927. With the addition of the Maryland Wing in 1950, the total number of beds became 305. In 1954, as construction began on the Cornish and Wolseley West additions, a total number of 418 beds and 60 bassinets were accommodated, and a full range of diagnostic services were available.

In 1922, MGH was awarded a Grade “A” facility approval from the Catholic Association of Federated Hospitals and the American College of Surgeons.

In 1971, a new Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit was added in the newly constructed Riverview Annex.

In 1993, Eye Care Centre of Excellence was consolidated and established at MGH, while pediatrics and Inpatient Psychiatry were removed from MGH’s purview, along with the Obstetrics Department in 1997.

In 1998, MGH's emergency room was closed, and it was re-established as the Misericordia Health Centre, which served as an urgent care centre, and houses a diverse range of health-care programs.

Misericordia Sisters

  • F5
  • Corporate body
  • 1898-2004

In 1898, three Misericordia Sisters (Soeurs de Misericorde) departed their motherhouse in Montreal, and, along with a trained nurse, established a mission in Winnipeg to provide care and instruction for unwed mothers and their babies. They began their work in a small house in St. Boniface, and eventually purchased property on Sherbrook Street and Ida (now Wolsely). From 1900 to 1917, the Misericordia Sisters, founded, funded, and operated the Winnipeg Maternity Hospital located between Sherbrook Street and Maryland Street. In addition, they established a home for single mothers and their children, and an orphanage with 100 children, in St. Norbert. In 1916, they founded a School of Nursing, which was a well respected and faith-based school. In 1917, The Maternity Hospital became the Misericordia General Hospital in response to a growing municipal need for additional medical and surgical services and care. Throughout the Hospital’s history, the Sisters were active leaders and participants. Throughout the 1950s, 45 sisters worked at the hospital. Between 2000 to 20004, two Sisters remained in Winnipeg and lived in the hospital’s personal care home, Misericordia Place, before departing for their motherhouse in Montreal.
A lit cross sits atop Misericordia to honour their legacy. The Misericordia Health Centre continues to follow the legacy of the Sisters, and the faith-based values that led their mission.
Ownership of Misericordia Health Centre was transferred from the Misericordia Sisters to the Misericordia Corporation members within the Archdiocese of Winnipeg.

Winnipeg Maternity Hospital

  • F1
  • Corporate body
  • 1900-1917

The Winnipeg Maternity Hospital was established in 1900 and was owned and operated by The Misericordia Sisters (Soeurs de Misericorde). In 1898, three nuns came from their motherhouse in Montreal, along with a trained nurse, to establish a mission in Winnipeg to care for unwed mothers and their babies. Between 1899 and 1900, funded through private charitable donations and private payment for services, a three-storey wood frame structure was built between Sherbrook Street and Maryland Street to serve as the Winnipeg Maternity Hospital. 1n 1907, a center wing and north wing were added to meet the increased demand for services. In 1917, in response to the growing medical and surgical needs of Winnipeg residents, the Winnipeg Maternity Hospital became Misericordia General Hospital and began to admit men.