Showing 14 results

authority records

Brandon Little Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-1964

The Brandon Little Theatre was established in fall 1928 in Brandon, Manitoba by British speech trainer Muriel McGregor (nee Littell), who immigrated to Canada as a war bride after World War One. A graduate of the Central School of Speech Training at London's Royal Albert Hall, Muriel brought together local theatre aficionados, mainly Brandon College faculty and members of St. Matthew's Pro-Cathedral congregation, to present plays for local audiences. The objectives were to produce plays written by Canadian authors; to produce dramatic works "of the highest order;" to give Canadian playwrights an opportunity for national recognition and give Canadian actors an opportunity to perform in their own country; to develop the arts and crafts ancillary to theatre (e.g., set and costume design); and to develop appreciation of drama and provide facilities for studying technique. From 1928 to 1933, under Muriel's leadership, the group presented two full-length performances per year and bi-monthly one-act plays, all at Brandon Normal School's 400-seat auditorium (1129 Queens Ave.). The theatre closed for two years during the Depression, due in part to falling attendance, but in 1935, new actors formerly with Winnipeg Little Theatre, including Kaye Rowe, reinvigorated the group. They hosted more informal meetings at members' houses and presented plays at City Hall auditorium. Thinning membership during World War Two once again halted operations from 1942 until 1946. Their performance of "A Room in the Tower" in 1947 won the group a coveted spot in the Dominion Drama Festival finals in London, Ontario. However, the emerging popularity of hockey with the rise of the Brandon Wheat Kings challenged the theatre's ability to attract large audiences, therefore it closed for two years in the late 1950s. Reorganized in 1958 as New World Theatre, the community group attracted players with professional and semi-professional backgrounds, such as Sigrid Green, an actor who trained in the Berlin Dramatic Academy. They performed dramas but later switched to musical theatre, quickly selling out seats. They also presented radio plays and several television shows, and sponsored technique workshops. By 1964, the theatre had lost many significant personnel, and it closed permanently.

Chair in German-Canadian Studies, University of Winnipeg

  • GCS-Chair
  • Corporate body
  • 1989-

The Chair in German-Canadian Studies was established in 1989 with a grant from the Secretary of State's Program for Canadian Ethnic Studies and with a grant from a group of private philanthropists within the German-Canadian community of Winnipeg. It is affiliated with the History Department at the University of Winnipeg.

Cubbidge, Arthur Edward

  • AC
  • Person
  • 23 May 1881 - 28 October 1952

Arthur Cubbidge (1881-1952) was a Winnipeg architect. Cubbidge was born in Maidstone, England and immigrated to Winnipeg in 1907, where he worked as an assistant to local architect John Woodman. In 1917, Woodman invited Cubbidge to become a partner in his firm, where they worked on local public buildings, primarily schools. In 1924, Cubbidge began his own firm, where he continued his work on public buildings such as schools, hospitals, businesses both locally and beyond. Cubbidge also designed many residential projects, particularly in the Wellington Crescent neighbourhood.

Arthur Cubbidge (1881-1952) was a Winnipeg architect. Cubbidge was born in Maidstone, England and immigrated to Winnipeg in 1907, where he worked as an assistant to local architect John Woodman. In 1917, Woodman invited Cubbidge to become a partner in his firm, where they worked on local public buildings, primarily schools. In 1924, Cubbidge began his own firm, where he continued his work on public buildings such as schools, hospitals, businesses both locally and beyond. Cubbidge also designed many residential projects, particularly in the Wellington Crescent neighbourhood.

de Forest, Claude

  • WAF cdeforest
  • Person
  • 1931-2013

Claude was born in 1931 in Basel, Switzerland to George and Esther De Forest. Immigrating to Canada in 1949, the de Forest family landed in Montreal before settling in Winnipeg in the early fifties. Claude's natural drawing abilities and long family line of architects led him to pursue a BArch from the University of Manitoba in 1955 followed by a Masters in Architecture from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Upon graduation, Claude was hired as a junior designer with the prestigious Eero Saarinen and Associates office outside of Detroit. In 1958, he took an architectural pilgrimage through Asia and it was during this trip that he met his future wife Yoshiko in Kyoto, Japan. They were married in 1960 and returned to Winnipeg where he had begun teaching in the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Manitoba under the Deanship of John A. Russell. He became a Registered Architect, with the Manitoba Association of Architects, in 1962. In 1994, he retired as Full Professor in the Department of Environmental Studies.

Known for his energetic and imaginative teaching style, Claude was also prescient in his teachings of alternative energy sources and ecological awareness. A committed activist and believer in social justice, he was dedicated to disability issues and socially responsible design and was a leading force in the establishment of the Universal Design Institute at the University of Manitoba. Claude taught Environmental Studies at the inner city based Winnipeg Education Centre and served as Executive Director for the Canadian Institute for Barrier Free Design. He was also Chair of the Education Committee for the Canadian Centre on Disability Studies and received the Lifetime Achievement Winnipeg Accessibility Award for community leadership in Universal Design from the City of Winnipeg in 2007.

Claude's connection to Japan led him to organize the Shimizu-Manitoba Architect Exchange Fellowship which hosted Japanese architects for 18 years and sent young Canadian architects to Japan. He also spent two sabbaticals studying and living in Kyoto with Yoshiko where they enjoyed seeing the many sites and visiting with family and friends.

Donahue, Arthur James

  • WAF jdonahue
  • Person
  • 1917-1996

Born in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1917, Arthur James Donahue showed an early aptitude for design. The only child of a family involved in business and farming, Donahue was educated in Regina, followed by a year in Switzerland. His mother later married a man named Wallace, who was a partner in Wallace and Milne Ltd., Insurance and Loans in Regina. Wallace’s wealth allowed young Donahue to attend the best schools. In 1941, he graduated from the School of Architecture at the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Architecture, then with a Masters from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1942. There, under the influence of Marcel Breuer and Walter Gropius, he gained strong exposure to the International Style. Donahue was the first Canadian to complete a degree at Harvard's Graduate School of Design.

Donahue returned to Canada during the war years and was promptly hired by the National Housing Authority in Ottawa, under the guidance of S. A. Gitterman. During this time, he was involved in creating a touring exhibit “Wood in Canada,” with Donald Buchanan in 1945. From May to October 1946, he worked at the National Research Council, later Central Mortgage and Housing, in Vancouver. These positions gave Donahue experience both in design and in the application of new pre-fabricated building techniques that were being developed at that time.

In May 1947, at the age of 30, he was recruited by John Russell at the University of Manitoba as a professor of architectural design for the faculty of the School of Architecture.

Donahue showed a keen aptitude and interest in furniture design, producing both a plywood-framed web chair in 1945, and a moulded plywood radio cabinet with A. G. Medwin. In 1946, he produced a prototype light-weight fiberglass-stacking chair (similar to the ubiquitous patio furniture of today) with the support of the National Research Council. Designed in partnership with fellow University of Manitoba graduate Douglas C. Simpson, this chair has been credited as the world's first plastic furniture. Four years later, Charles Eames produced his classic DAR series chairs in the United States, similar in design to Donahue’s. The Donahue moulded chair never went into production. Not long after his arrival in Winnipeg, Donahue designed another lounge chair which he produced in his basement with the help of his students. With low-slung curved lines made into a plywood shell, the chair was supported with metal rod legs. It was upholstered in fabrics in colours such as mustard, orange and lime green. Originally sold for $35 at the Hudson’s Bay Company, today the chairs are now considered collectors’ items. In 1946, he helped establish the Affiliation of Canadian Industrial Designers, and while furniture design remained a passion, his career took him elsewhere.

When applying to the Manitoba Architects Association (MAA) in 1948, Donahue stated that he had worked from May 1947 for a year under K. C. Stanley at the Planning Research Center at the University of Manitoba, which was part of a new program of interdisciplinary study. In response to the great increase in enrolment and over-crowded facilities, the School of Architecture was reorganising itself. The departments needed separation, so it was a period of change in which Jim Donahue was a vital element. Donahue was a dynamic and challenging lecturer whom many students regarded as a mentor through his years on campus. He participated fully in campus life, from committee work to studio critiques and as an advisor to Dean Russell on the School of Architecture’s role on the Campus Design and Planning Committee of 1957.

Some time before 1951, Donahue designed a home for his growing family of five at 8 Fulham Crescent in Tuxedo. Period photos illustrate a low rectangular mass with an angled roof and attached carport. When the family outgrew the home, he designed another at 301 Hosmer Boulevard, completed in 1956. The family vacated the old house and lived briefly in the Welgrove Apartments at 375 Wellington Crescent, which Donahue designed and oversaw construction of in 1955. Included in John Graham’s Winnipeg Architecture, the Welgrove is described as having a small reinforced concrete frame, sympathetic in scale to its older neighbours, with lines expressed in glass and masonry panels.

The new Donahue residence at the corner of Hosmer Boulevard and Corydon Avenue, was a rectangular form in natural cedar supported on stilts around a raised basement. Although only one storey, the building capitalises on the vistas and light of its raised design, thereby producing comfortable interior space and an inviting exterior. Donahue designed several houses in his career, preferring only natural materials and the use of large windows to integrate the interior with its setting. His philosophical functionalism was always tempered in his residential design.

In 1952, Donahue designed the Niakwa Country Club, located at 620 Niakwa Road. In 1959, he joined the Smith Carter Searle design team, to work on its submission to the Winnipeg City Hall juried competition. Although unsuccessful in that bid, Smith Carter Searle again partnered with Donahue for the design of the Monarch Life Building (1959-63) and the Faculty of Architecture Building, now the J.A. Russell Building (1959) at the University of Manitoba. Donahue is generally credited with being the principal designer for both of these landmark projects.

Monarch Life at 333 Broadway is a six-storey granite clad, steel frame office building, with prominent vertical lines. The upper floors cantilever over the main level at either end. The Russell Building, which is cited in many studies for its sparse modernistic lines, also floats over its basement with its cantilevered form. It is a persistent grid of exposed columns alternating with mullions that reach through its two floors. With its curtain wall and interior courtyard, it symbolically defined the School of Architecture’s commitment to modernist design.

On his own at this period, Donahue submitted an entry in the Confederation Building competition in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island in 1961, which Dean John Russell administered. His design was a three-sided development around an historic structure. This project paved the way for him to leave Winnipeg to accept a position in the fall of 1963, teaching at the Nova Scotia Technical College School of Architecture in Halifax, thus ending his career in Winnipeg.

Donahue’s practice included several buildings at the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) which is now DalTech: a university residence (O’Brian Hall in 1970), the School of Architecture Building (1976), and as a partner on the TUNS Design Center in 1985-89. Other projects include the Halifax Police Station (1975), the Nova Scotia Archives (1977) and the HMCS Sackville Theater in 1991.

Jim Donahue resided in an old house, which he renovated with his second wife in Chester, Nova Scotia. Later, he built his third residence, again of natural wood, in Lunenberg County outside Halifax, where he lived until his death on February 4, 1996.

Izen, Roy

  • WAF royizen
  • Person
  • 1936 - present

Julius Roy Izen was born July 10, 1936 and raised in Winnipeg. Izen graduated from the University of Manitoba’s Faculty of Architecture in 1960 and continued his studies with a graduate degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. During this period, he was employed at Boston firm Salzberg & Le Blanc.

Upon his return to Winnipeg, he was employed by local firms Blankstein, Coop, Gillmore & Hanna, Weisman Ross Blankstein Coop Gillmore Hanna (later known as Number TEN Architectural Group), and Libling Michener and Associates (later known as LM Architects) as a project designer/architect.

Izen was a founding partner at IKOY. After colleagues Ron Keenberg, Stan Osaka, and Jim Yamashita earned an honourable mention for their entry in a national design competition for the Winnipeg Art Gallery in 1968, Izen joined the group to found the new firm, IKOY Architechs. IKOY drew its moniker from the names of its principle designers: Roy Izen (I), Keenberg (K), Stan Osaka (O) and Yamashita (Y). During his time at IKOY, Izen worked on projects including the UMSU Building on the University of Manitoba campus (overall design, 1969) and the Hampton Green apartment complex.

After leaving IKOY, Izen worked with MMP Architects (Senior Design Associate, 1973-1983); Department of National Defense (Design Architect, 1984-1989); Public Works and Government Services Canada/Building Product Sector (Chief Design Architect, 1989-1991); Public Works and Government Services Canada/Real Property Services (Chief, Architectural Services, 1991-1997). In 1997, he opened his own office, J. Roy Izen (Principal Architect, 1997-1999).

In addition to displaying his creativity through his work in architecture, Izen’s eccentric and dynamic art style was captured in his sketches and collages, reflecting his humour and interest in popular culture. Izen also contributed to set design on Royal Winnipeg Ballet productions (ca. 1960s).

Izen married Ann Barbara Galpern in April, 1961. The couple had three sons, Michael, Jon, and Steve. Roy Izen relocated to Richmond, B.C after his retirement in 1999. In 2016, the family collaborated on a book to raise awareness of the importance of prostate exams, following Michael’s Stage IV prostate cancer diagnosis.

Manitoba Association of Architects

  • Corporate body
  • 1906-present

The Manitoba Association of Architects (MAA) is a professional organization which regulates the practice of architecture in the province of Manitoba. The MAA appoints representatives to a number of community organizations, including the Winnipeg Building Commission, the Historic Buildings Committee, the Manitoba Association of Architects/Winnipeg Construction Association Joint Committee, and various task groups. The MAA formed in 1906 following the establishment of a Provincial Architects’ Office for Manitoba in 1904 as a result of a demand for the self-regulation of architectural practice. One of the aims of the organization was to better the professional reputation of architects practicing in Manitoba, aided by the MAA’s formal incorporation under the Manitoba Architects’ Act in 1914.

McGregor, Muriel (nee Littell)

  • Person
  • 1888-1980

Muriel McGregor (nee Littell) was a British speech trainer and founder of Brandon Little Theatre in Brandon, Manitoba. Born in England in 1888, she graduated from the Central School of Speech Training at London's Royal Albert Hall, having trained with speech arts expert Elsie Fogarty. Muriel emigrated to Canada as a war bride, arriving in Brandon in 1919 with her husband, Captain Malcolm MacAdam McGregor (1891-1956), a native of Brandon. She provided elocution lessons and joined the executive of the Brandon Art Club, soon becoming its president. She also served on the women's organization committee that supported Robert Forke, Member of Parliament for Brandon and house leader of the Progressive Party of Canada. In fall 1928, Muriel founded Brandon Little Theatre, consisting primarily of Brandon College faculty and congregation members of St. Matthew's Pro-Cathedral. Muriel took on the roles of actor, director, and president (1928-1933). Under her leadership, the organization presented plays by J.M. Barrie and George Bernard Shaw as well as lesser-known playwrights such as Mary Parkington. Alongside her work with the theatre, Muriel opened a drama school in September 1931, offering lessons in voice and speech, interpretation, public speaking, and acting at her studio at 534 Louise Street. She also provided speech therapy. Throughout the 1930s, Muriel participated in various drama festivals as an emcee, adjudicator and honoured guest, and was a member of the local Business and Professional Women's Club. She lived at 2407 Victoria Avenue for most of her life, moving to Hillcrest Place, a seniors' residence, in 1976. Muriel died in 1980.

Orpheum Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1916-1917

The Orpheum Theatre in Brandon, Manitoba opened on January 11, 1916 at 159 10th Street, a site previously occupied by the Princess Theatre (1910) and the Sherman Theatre (1914). The Orpheum's managers were C.P. Walker, of North Dakota, and Barney Groves, an English immigrant. Together, they operated theatres across Western Canada. While the takeover in Brandon was uneventful, the former owner of the Sherman Theatre in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, armed with a revolver and rifle, barricaded himself, his wife, and their baby inside the theatre on October 2, 1917, refusing to hand over the lease to Walker and Groves. In Brandon, the Orpheum's first show was a series of four vaudeville acts presented by the Western Vaudeville Managers' Association, followed by four reels of moving pictures. The two-hour production ran over two days, with one performance in the afternoons and two in the evenings. The Orpheum regularly featured pantomimes, comedies, lectures, and films. It closed on August 1, 1917 for remodelling. The last article about upcoming shows at the Orpheum appeared in the Brandon Daily Sun on December 17, 1917. The Willis Theatre opened in its place in November 1919, run by Harry C. Willis, who previously managed the Starland Theatre at 715 Rosser Ave. A fire on May 10, 1921 completely destroyed the building.

Osaka, Stanley Hiroaki

  • WAF sosaka
  • Person
  • 1931-2015

Stan was born on July 23, 1931 in Richmond, British Columbia, to Otokichi and Midori Osaka. During the Second World War, he and his parents and sister, Kimiko, were interned at Tashme Internment Camp, British Columbia, by order of the Canadian Government. After the war, he relocated to Montreal to attend McGill University, but later transferred to the University of Manitoba, in Winnipeg, where he received his Bachelor of Architecture in 1957 and his Master of Architecture in 1958. He was active in his fraternity, the Pi Epsilon Chapter of the Zeta Psi Fraternity. Stan also attended the University of Tokyo from 1959 to 1961 on a Japanese Ministry of Education Fellowship to complete two years of his doctorate studies in Civic Design with Professors Kenzo Tange and Eika Takayama. While in Japan, he also had the opportunity to study for and receive a teaching certificate from the Misho-Ryu School of Floral Arrangement.

In 1962, Stan met his wife, Georgia Morishita, and they were married for 28 years. Stan and Georgia had one son, Robert. They spent many happy years, traveling all over the world until Georgia's passing in 1993. Stan was a founding partner and architect of the architectural and interior design firm, The IKOY Partnership, where he worked from 1968 to 1978. IKOY became a successful firm that gained national attention. Major projects during this time included apartment and townhouse projects in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon and Calgary, as well as many commercial facilities, schools, colleges and institutional buildings.

In 1978, Stan established Stan H. Osaka Architect, where he was the sole principal architect working on many university and residential projects. From 1988 to 1997, Stan became the University Architect and Campus Planner for the President's Office of the University of Manitoba. Though he was dedicated to architecture, Stan was equally passionate about serving on the boards of many community organizations, such as the St. Boniface St. Vital Rotary Club, where he was a Director and President, and the Buddhist Churches of Canada, where he served as Director and Treasurer for many years. He was also a Director and President of the St. Vital Curling Club.

Results 1 to 10 of 14