Showing 8235 results

authority records

Zwierzchowski, Jozef (Joe), 1902-1999

  • CA-OPMA-AR-08
  • Person
  • 1902-1999

Jozef was born in the Grabina powiat of Plock, Poland, on September 12, 1902. He arrived in Quebec on June 23, 1928. He resided in Gerald, SK, before moving to Winnipeg in 1935. In Winnipeg, he worked as a barber, initially operating out of a barbershop in the Dufferin Hotel.
Over his career as a Master Barber, Jozef operated out of various locations, including 241 Dufferin Ave, and later, Joe’s Barber Shop at 408 Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg.
Jozef was a member of the Holy Ghost Parish Church in Winnipeg, the Independent Order of Foresters Court No. 763, the Manitoba Master Barbers Association, the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 34, Mynarski V.C., and the S.P.K. Polish Combatants Association, Branch No. 13.
Jozef died in Winnipeg on September 3, 1999.

Zurba, Betty

  • zurba_b
  • Person
  • 1938-

Betty Johnson was born in Lena, Manitoba in 1938. After living briefly in Saskatchewan in the early 1950s, she married Earl Zurba, a bus driver in Sifton, Manitoba, in 1956. In 2002, they were living on a farm in Sifton. She is the grand-daughter of Edith Johnson.

Zurad, Adam Jozef, 1915-2004

  • CA-OPMA-AR-13
  • Person
  • 1915-2004

Adam Jozef Zurad was born on February 15, 1915 in Budziwoj, Rzeszow, Poland. During his school years, the family relocated to Drohobycz. He completed high school education and military service, initially assigned to artillery but later reassigned to the infantry officer cadet college in Kielce. He was then sent to the 4th Legionnaire Regiment in Kielce, where he was assigned to a communications platoon.
In 1939, Zurad entered the Faculty of Law at the University of Lwow while simultaneously working in Boryslaw. In August 1939, he received his mobilization papers and was ordered to report to Drohobycz to the 6th Podhale Regiment. He took part in the September campaign. Following German occupation of Poland, Zurad escaped via Hungary to France, where he joined General Maczek’s Division. He took part in the defense of France and remained there throughout most of the Second World War. After the Allied invasion of France, he was assigned to the 10th Hussar Regiment of the 2nd Corps. He trained in Egypt, taking part in the assault on Bologna in Italy.
Following the end of the war, Zurad was recruited by a Canadian commission looking for agricultural workers and emigrated to Canada.
He signed a two-year contract to work on sugar beet farms on the Canadian prairies. He worked on various farms, including cattle farms, then was employed on the construction of the military base in Shilo. He was then employed by CNR in Winnipeg and performing line maintenance in British Columbia. He eventually settled in Winnipeg, and was active in the Polish community. He was a member of the Holy Ghost Parish, a founding member of the Polish Combatants’ Association Branch 13, and a member of Sokol Choir. Zurad also took part in Polish amateur theatre. He resided at the Polish Manor.
Adam Zurad died on March 17, 2004.

Zoar Mennonite Church (Waldheim, Saskatchewan)

  • Corporate body

In 1911 a congregation was organized in the Waldheim as a second group along with the Langham group to form the Zoar Mennonite Church. They met in rented facilities. In 1912, they built their own meeting house. In 1917 they joined the Conference of Mennonites. The meeting house was renovated in 1958. In 1960 there was a division of the congregation over primarily the language question. A new congregation was formed from this division, the Grace Mennonite Mission. The membership was 202 in 1960 and 153 in 1962. In 1981 the membership was 191. The membership stood at 181 in 2000. The leaders of the congregation were: Nicholas Toews (1910-1914), J.C. Peters (1910-1916), David Toews (1916-1920), Joshua Buller (1913-1920), Gerhard Buhler (1922-1932), John L. Zacharias (1932-1967), Jacob R. Schmidt (1929-1941), J.C. Schmidt (1943-1944), John Block (1943-1960), I.V. Schmidt (1956-1958), Jacob Mierau (1956-1958), David Dyck (1958-1960), Henry Penner (1961-1962), Henry Funk (1962-1964, 1965-1971), Jake Krause (1971-1975), Gerald Klassen (1976-1979), Benno Klassen (1979-1996), George Hoeppner (1996-1997), Barry Lesser (1997- ).

Zoar Mennonite Church (Langham, Saskatchewan)

  • Corporate body

Mennonites had arrived in the Langham area at the turn of the 20th century mainly from Kansas, Minnesota and the Dakotas. The Zoar Mennonite Church was first organized with fourteen families in Langham in 1910. They built their own meeting house in 1911. Another congregation was organized in the Waldheim area with their own meeting house in 1911. Initially the two congregations (Langham and Waldheim) were under one organization. This church joined the Conference of Mennonites in 1914. The membership was 140 in 1931. In 1943 the meeting house was expanded. In 1952 the membership was 195. In 1954 the building was expanded in part because the Bethesda Mennonite Church had dissolved in 1948 and many of its members joined the Zoar congregation in Langham. In 1960 it was again expanded. In 1968 the membership was 168. In 1974 the building was again expanded. The membership was 183 in 1983. In 2000 the membership stood at 153. The leaders of the congregation were: Nicholas Toews (1910-1914), Henry Wiebe (1915-1923), John G. Rempel (1923-1935), William Buhr (1935-1937), Jacob Nickel (1937-1952, 1954), Gerhard Zacharias (1951), Hans Dyck (1952-1953), Henry Wiens (1954-1965), Doris and David Friesen (1966-1970) Ruben Siemens (1971-1973), Ray Wahl (1974-1977), Katie and John Friesen (1977-1984), Abe Baergen (1985), Henry Wiens (1986-1988), Garry Janzen (1989-1999), Herman Wiebe (2000- ).

Zionist Organization of Canada National Council of the Midwestern Region

  • Corporate body
  • 1944-[197-]

The Zionist Organization of Canada National Council of the Midwestern Region was the regional office of the national organization coordinating Zionist causes. The regional office was responsible for Manitoba and Northwest Ontario.

The Zionist Organization of Canada (ZOC) was incorporated in 1921. The ZOC promoted Zionist causes as well as promoting Jewish identity and the Hebrew language. The organization raised and distributed funds for Keren Hayesod, the Jewish National Fund and the United Palestine Appeal (later the United Israel Appeal). They also operated a number of other programs including periodicals, TV programs, lectures and youth camps. Operations of the ZOC were absorbed by the Canadian Zionist Federation during the 1970s.

The National Council of the Midwestern Region was created in 1944 along with three other regional divisions. The Midwestern Region included Manitoba and the portion of Ontario north and west of Fort William (later Thunder Bay). The region was represented on the national board by two vice presidents, who also sat on the regional board. The other members on the regional board were the Treasurer and chairs of: Education, United Palestine Appeal, Public Relations, Constitution, Youth, Youth Aliyah, Membership, Jewish National Fund and Pledge Redemption.

Zion Mennonite Church (Swift Current, Saskatchewan)

  • Corporate body

Mennonites from Manitoba first settled in the area south of Swift Current, Saskatchewan around 1905. More settlers came when the railway was built in the area after 1911. In 1913 the Conference of Mennonites in Canada began a work in the area to serve the families in the Wymark, Blumenhof, and Neville areas. The first baptisms occurred in the following years. In 1928 a congregation was officially founded with about 75 charter members. This was a multi-congregation church (Gemeinde) with a meeting place near Wymark and another in Swift Current. It was called the Emmaus Mennonite Church. By 1940 the membership had reached 224. In 1959 the membership was 270. It was then decided to form two churches so in 1960 the congregation in Swift Current was called the First Mennonite Church. In late 1960 it changed its name to the Zion Mennonite Church. In 1963 it had 191 members. The membership stood at 286 in 1976 and in 1986 it was 215. In 2000 it was 210. The leaders of the congregation were: Abe Neufeld (1960-1969), David Wiebe (1970-1971), Edwin Brandt (1972), Abe Hiebert (1973-1976), Barry Lesser (1979, 1983-1991), Ken Schrag (1980-1982), Ray Friesen (1992-1993), Dennis Fehr (1994-1996, Sylvia and Ray Friesen (1997- ).

Results 1 to 10 of 8235