Showing 8280 results

authority records

101st Brownies

  • Corporate body

In the spring of 1952 Kit Donaldson organized a group of 32 girls aged 7 to 10 years into a Brownie Pack originally known as the 7th Pack Brownies. Their first church activity was a Parent's Day Banquet. The girls would work towards many different proficiency badges that were generally awarded at a dinner that parents attended. There are no surviving records of their activities between 1955 and 1974, the same year that the group became the 101st Brownie Pack. In 1978, the age limit for Brownies changed to 6 to 9 years, and the Girl Guides included girls between the ages of 9 to 12 years. In 1981, there were 18 Brownies enrolled, but no Guide pack in progress for that year. It appears that a Pathfinders group, for girls aged 12 - 15 was established in 1988.

12th Port Arthur Group Committee

  • Corporate body

The 12th Port Arthur Group Committee was responsible for the Boy Scout, Cub and Beaver group sponsored by Knox United Church - Shuniah Street. The Group Committee first established the Boy Scout Troop in 1946. The first Scoutmaster was A.E. Moore. The troop varied in size, with the largest group, 40 boys, during that first year. As the years progressed, the numbers consistently stayed between 20 or 30 boys. By 1989, the Scouts were competing with organized sports and it was found to be necessary to amalgamate the troop with the troops from Our Saviour Lutheran Church and Current River United Church. The Cub Pack was started in 1951 under the leadership of Edna Bailey. The concept of a programme for boys too young for Cubs was initiated at St. Cuthbert's Anglican Church in Winnipeg in September 1971. In November of 1974, the Boy Scouts of Canada officially adopted the "Beaver" programme. The Thunder Bay District Beaver Co - ordinator initiated plans for a Beaver programme for Knox United Church - Shuniah Street. Their first meeting was on October 12, 1977 with June Hodgins, Bev Newman, Myles Penny, Gail Viklen and Mark Hunter. All three groups participate in age appropriate games, hikes, and badge training.

1906 Census of Northwest Provinces

  • Person

Special census ordered by the Canadian Government to track the high rates of population growth in the prairie provinces (Manitoba and the two newly created provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta). This endeavour continued from 1906 to 1956, at which time the Census of the Northwest provinces became part of the Canada-wide census

1911 Census

  • Person

This census was compiled in 1911 according to the laws of the Government of Canada, which required that a national census be done every ten years.

1916 Census of Northwest Provinces

  • Person

Special census ordered by the Canadian government to track the high rates of population growth in the prairie provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta). This endeavour continued from 1906 to 1956, at which time the Census of the Northwest Provinces became part of the Canada-wide census.

26th Field Artillery Regiment Museum

  • DHM
  • Corporate body
  • 1979-present

The 26th Field Regiment RCA / XII Manitoba Dragoons Museum is located in the Brandon Armoury at 116 Victoria Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba. The armoury was built in 1907 and has housed the Royal North West Mounted Police, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the 99th Manitoba Rangers, the XII Manitoba Dragoons, and the 26th Field Artillery Regiment. The first floor of the building now houses a military history museum, archives and library that have been open to the public since 1979.

A.E. McKenzie Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1896-1994

The A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was founded in 1896 by Albert Edward McKenzie as The Brandon Seed House. In 1906, the company underwent a change of name when A. E. McKenzie, who up until that point had been running the company on his own, decided that the growth of the country demanded a larger seed institute than could be managed by just one man. As a result, the company was incorporated under the Joint Stock Companies Act as A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd., under the Statutes of the Province of Manitoba, and new personnel were hired. Initially comprised of three divisions, The Brandon Seed House, Brandon Nurseries and Brandon Greenhouses, with each division registered under Dominion Patents, the company was later divided into Retail Mail Order, Wholesale and Commission Packet Trade divisions, as well as some export business. Located at 30 9th Street, Brandon, Manitoba, the head office and plant of A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. housed all the facilities and staff of the company, except the regional sales offices and warehouses. In 1908 the first branch of the A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was established at Calgary. In the following sixteen years additional branches were established in other Canadian cities. In 1930, McKenzie Seeds created the Seed Marketing Co. as a means of supplying distressed farmers with seed. This was accomplished through a Seed Grain Mortgage; this agreement was made before planting took place. Following harvest the mortgage was to be paid off. The Company fell into default and ceased to exist in 1962. In the years 1944-1945, the McKenzie Foundation was created, at which time 90% of the shares of the company were turned over to the Manitoba Government for the benefit of higher education, specifically Brandon College. Since 1975 the crown has held all shares of the McKenzie Co. through the Province of Manitoba. A.E. McKenzie died on September 25, 1964 at the age of 94 and was succeeded as president by a number of individuals. Late in 1971 A. E. McKenzie Co. Ltd. purchased its largest competition in packaged seeds - Steele Briggs Seed Co., and at the time of the acquisition the company changed its name to A. E. McKenzie Co. - Steele Briggs Seeds. Other acquisitions included McFayden Seeds (1941), the Canada Seed Company, which merged with Steele Briggs in the 1930's, Brett-Young Seeds (1971), and Pike & Co. (1982). In 1994 the Manitoba Government sold the A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. to Regal Greetings and Gifts.

ARIZONA WOMEN'S ORGANIZATION, MANITOBA

  • Corporate body

The Arizona Women's Organization created a history of the community entitled "Arizona: 1882-1992" as a centennial project. Its date of founding is unknown and it is still active in fund-raising for the Arizona Hall upkeep and other causes. Further information is unknown.

Aamot, Paulette

  • Person

Paulette Aamot was a member of the Trappers’ Festival board of directors for 8 years. She was mainly responsible for their headquarters every year.

Results 1 to 10 of 8280