Showing 3 results

authority records
Winnipeg Architecture Foundation Manitoba--Winnipeg

Cubbidge, Arthur Edward

  • AC
  • Person
  • 23 May 1881 - 28 October 1952

Arthur Cubbidge (1881-1952) was a Winnipeg architect. Cubbidge was born in Maidstone, England and immigrated to Winnipeg in 1907, where he worked as an assistant to local architect John Woodman. In 1917, Woodman invited Cubbidge to become a partner in his firm, where they worked on local public buildings, primarily schools. In 1924, Cubbidge began his own firm, where he continued his work on public buildings such as schools, hospitals, businesses both locally and beyond. Cubbidge also designed many residential projects, particularly in the Wellington Crescent neighbourhood.

Arthur Cubbidge (1881-1952) was a Winnipeg architect. Cubbidge was born in Maidstone, England and immigrated to Winnipeg in 1907, where he worked as an assistant to local architect John Woodman. In 1917, Woodman invited Cubbidge to become a partner in his firm, where they worked on local public buildings, primarily schools. In 1924, Cubbidge began his own firm, where he continued his work on public buildings such as schools, hospitals, businesses both locally and beyond. Cubbidge also designed many residential projects, particularly in the Wellington Crescent neighbourhood.

Stewart, George A.

  • WAF gstewart
  • Person
  • 1922-1994

George Andrew Stewart was born in Boissevain, Manitoba and was the son of a United Church minister, Reverend J. F. Stewart. Stewart graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture from the University of Manitoba in 1948. He was awarded, among other prizes, the Manitoba Association of Architects (MAA) Scholarship and the Ralph Hamm Memorial Scholarship. After graduation, he established his own practice which he ran until 1970.

From 1970-1982, George A. Stewart worked as the Director of the University of Manitoba, Physical Planning and Design Office. During this time, he designed the Ellis Building, renovated the Buller Biological Laboratories and oversaw the design and construction of several new buildings.

Stewart served on the Manitoba Association of Architects (MAA) Council and as MAA President (1958). As well he served on numerous committees of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC). He was appointed as a Fellow of the RAIC in 1966. In 1965, he was appointed to the Winnipeg Better Housing Commission.

Stewart had a particular interest in community public libraries which led to commissions for both the St. Vital and the Fort Garry branches.

Thompson, Harlyn Elwood

  • hthompson
  • Person
  • 1933-2021

Harlyn Elwood Thompson was born in Fargo, North Dakota, on July 3, 1933. He graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture from North Dakota State University in 1956. He then studied at the University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) receiving a masters of Architecture in 1960. After graduation, he moved to London, England and worked for Chamberlin, Powell & Bon Architects, the architects for the Barbican. He was a ‘Block’ Architect responsible for large scale 'flat' housing.

Returning to the USA, he worked for a year with Vincent G. Kling & Associates, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on the Norfolk Civic Center, Norfork, Virginia. From 1962-64, he worked with Louis I. Kahn, in Philadelphia. Projects underway included the Salk Institute in LaJolla, California. Thompson was Project Architect on the Bryn Mawr College Dormitory, Pennsylvania.

From 1964-1973, Thompson taught in the Department of Architecture & Planning, The Queen's University of Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland; the Department of Architecture, North Dakota State University, and the Department of Architecture, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio.

In 1973, he became a Professor at the New Jersey School of Architecture, New Jersey Institute of Technology. He was also appointed as the new school's first dean. He was accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) in 1978.

In 1980, Harlyn Thompson came to the University of Manitoba and joined the Faculty of Architecture as a professor and then as Dean, as well as working in private practice. He continued with the University in teaching and management roles until 1996. From 1997-2007, Thompson was Senior Scholar in the Faculty of Architecture, University of Manitoba.

Thompson also served as a consultant on a range of international projects. From 1990-96, he worked with the Architecture & Rural Planning, Nepal Education Project, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). From 1996-2005, he was a volunteer advisor through CES/SACO on the following projects: Site Analysis/Site Planning for a Motel, Grand Rapids First Nation (1996); Space Planning, Neechi Foods Co-op, Winnipeg (1998); Site Report, Outdoor Recreation Facility, Fisher River First Nation (1998); Introduce Architectural Consulting Services using CAD via the Internet, Chisinau, Moldova (2002).

Harlyn Thompson continued to contribute to Winnipeg’s architectural community through support of the annual Harlyn Thompson lecture series at the University of Manitoba and participation as a member of the Faculty of Architecture Partners Programme.

Harlyn Thompson passed away on August 17, 2021.