Showing 8371 results

authority records

Alpha Omega Women's Alumnae

  • aowa
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-

The Alpha Omega Alumnae, an organization of women university graduates of Ukrainian descent, was founded in 1958 by a small group of twelve women with a desire to promote and foster Ukrainian cultural activities within the broader community. The organization has focused on promoting the work of amateur and professional artists of Ukrainian origin. The visual and performing arts have been supported with art exhibitions, musicals, recitals, lectures and readings by published authors. In the 1960s, in collaboration with the Winnipeg Art Gallery, the Alumnae sponsored a major show of the works of internationally known sculptor Alexander Archipenko. This was followed by a show of the art of William Kurelek. Interest in contemporary literature led, in 1978, to a Canada-wide writing competition which called for stories based on experiences of "Ukrainian Life in Canada". In celebration of Winnipeg's Centennial, the Alumnae honoured those women of Ukrainian descent who had graduated from the University of Manitoba prior to 1940. This resulted in a publication entitled The Beginnings: Ukrainian Women Graduates, University of Manitoba. In 2008, the Alumnae celebrated its fiftieth anniversary with a major celebratory musical event and a "Garden Party" honoring the founding members.

Altamont, St Barnabas

  • Corporate body

The parish St Barnabas was established in Musselboro, Manitoba, now known as Altamont, on 20 April 1886 by Archbishop Machray. A church was built and consecrated on 16 June 1918 by Archbishop Glover. St Barnabas, from its inception, had always shared a minister with St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051) and St Matthew, New Haven (OW.064) and became part of what is called the Pembina Hills Parishes, which includes St Barnabas; St Paul, Clearwater (OW.016); St Andrew, Crystal City (OW.019); St Mary, Kaleida (OW.043); St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051); St Matthew, New Haven (OW.065); St Luke, Pembina Crossing (OW.069); and St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound (OW.070). In 1990, following the departure of one clergyman (the parishes had previously been served by two fulltime ministers) the parishes undertook a Total Ministry program. Sixteen members of the parishes took courses that would enable them as lay readers to assist and at times lead in worship. On 23 February 1992, they were commissioned as lay ministers in a Commissioning Service held at St John the Baptist in Manitou. In Altamont, lay ministers now take morning prayer service and the Priest presides over Holy Communion services once a month. In 2003, facing massive repairs, the congregation of St. Barnabas moved to the Altamont United Church and held Anglican services every other Sunday. On 9 April 2005, Bishop Phillips deconsecrated and secularized the church building. The church was then sold to Robert Milne and Alana Falk of Morden. The altar, offering plate and credence shelf were donated to St Luke, Pembina Crossing. A tall brass cross was donated to St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound. The Bishop's Chair and Prayer Desk kneeler were given to local carpenter Fred Crampton. The Prayer Seat was given to Gerry Hoskins. Pews were sold to former parishioners and memorial plaques were offered back to the donating families. Several articles were retained by the congregation to be used in their new home, including the pulpit, baptismal font, candlesticks, hymn board, communion vessels, hangings, and a small brass cross.

Altomare, Tom

  • THMA-4
  • Person
  • unknown- ca.1990's

Transcona resident

Altona Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Manitoba)

  • Corporate body

The Bergthaler Mennonites first came to the West Reserve area from the East Reserve in 1877. These settlers formed four villages over the next decade. They first began worshiping together in 1880 in Rudnerweide. The education question caused these settlers to divide into two groups, the Sommerfelder and Bergthaler. Johann Funk was the leader of the Bergthaler and Abram Doerksen the leader of the Sommerfelder. In 1895 the Bergthaler built a new meeting house in Hochstadt. However, the centre for worship shifted in 1907 when the new Mennonite Educational Institute was built in Altona. In 1912 it was decided to build a new meeting house in Altona. In 1919 this building was expanded and again in 1944. With the Bible School expanding in Altona it was decided to build a new building to accommodate the large gatherings in connection with the Bible School. A larger building was completed in 1954. The language transition occurred over the next two decades. The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba, the Conference of Mennonites in Canada and the General Conference Mennonite Church since 1968. The language of worship was originally German and the transition to English occurred in the 1960s. The leaders of this congregation were: Johann Funk (1892-1911), Johann Friesen (1895-1909), H. Hamm (1906-[19-?]), P. Epp (1911-1925), David Schulz (1920-1950), Henry Gerbrandt (1950-1971), D. F. Friesen (1971-1979), Walter Franz (1979-1991), Randy Klaassen (1991-1997), Jake F. Pauls (1998), Peter Penner (1999- )

Altona Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference Church

  • Corporate body

The Altona Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference (EMMC) congregation traces its beginning to a group of rural EMMC members who had moved into the town of Altona and began meeting for fellowship and worship in 1949. In 1951 they acquired and moved former Kleine Gemeinde (EMC) church building from Rosenhof to Altona. A new building was built in 1968 and was expanded in 1976 and again in 1986.

The EMMC began under the bishop system of church leadership but more autonomy was requested by some of the town churches such as Altona and Winkler. Altona youth worker B.W. Sawatzky was one strong proponent of this concept. In 1955 the church asked to hire its own minister, even though their Bishop Wilhelm H. Falk, Bishop J.H. Friesen (after 1955), and minister Jacob Gerbrandt already lived in Altona. This however only became reality after the 1959 with wide sweeping reorganization within the larger church organization.

The Altona EMMC congregation hired John G. Froese in 1960. He remained leader until 1964. Other leaders have included: Henry Dueck (1965-1967), Lawrence Giesbrecht (1967-1970), John Bergman (1970-1973, 1978-1984), Henry U. Dueck (1973-1978), Allen Kehler (1984- ), Frank Friesen ( - ).

The congregation experienced rapid growth in the late 1960s and early 1970s as EMMC churches in the neighboring communities of Neubergthal, Eigenhof, and Rosenfeld closed.The congregation experienced rapid growth in the late 1960s and early 1970s as EMMC churches in the neighboring communities of Neubergthal, Eigenhof, and Rosenfeld closed.

The congregation was a supporter of Elim Bible School, Mennonite Central Committee, radio ministries, and EMMC missions. The congregation hired its first youth pastor in Tim Ryan in 1985 and has had an active children's program with Sunday School, cradle roll, Pioneer Girls, Boys Brigades and youth events. The women of the congregation organized themselves into the Priscilla Sewing Circle (later Priscilla Fellowship) and the Rebecca Fellowship.

The membership in 1965 was 200; in 1975, 255; in 1985, 369; in 2000, 658.

Altona Mennonite Brethren Church

  • Corporate body
  • 1927-1951

The Altona Mennonite Brethren Church began in 1927. Its earliest members originated from the Soviet Union. For the first four years the congregation met in a rented house occasionally for church meetings. Teachers and students of the Winkler Bible School held evangelistic meetings as well. In 1931 the church was officially organized under the leadership of Johann Andres with about 15 members. In 1932 it was affiliated with the Manitoba Conference. They continued to meet in a rented house and in 1937 a small building was bought. The leaders of the church included: Johann Andres (1931-1934), H. P. Toews (1935-1936), Joh. Andres (1937-1942), F. B. Friesen (1943), Gerh. Braun (1944-1950). The church dissolved in 1951 because some members moved away and others formed their own fellowship.

Altona Mennonite Church (Manitoba)

  • Corporate body

The Altona Mennonite Church was an outgrowth of the Altona Bergthaler Mennonite Church. That congregation had space needs and there was a group which wanted more English language services. So in 1962 a new congregation was formed with 22 charter members. Its mission was to reach out to the English-speaking people of Altona and the surrounding area. The congregation met in rented facilities. In 1964 it completed its own meeting house. The congregation gradually grew. In 1979 the membership was 79. In 1982 the membership was 113 and in 2000 it stood at 122. A number of members have served in various capacities in different roles around the world. The leaders of the congregation were: Frank Epp (1962-1965), Henry Friesen (1965-1970), Paul Dyck (1970-1973), Lawrence Klippenstein (1973-1975), Ed Cornelson (1976-1982), David Regehr (1982-1985), Marilyn and Ray Hamm (1985-1994), Ray Hamm (1995-1997), Jessie and Larry Kehler (1998), Jake Pauls (1999), Gordon Driedger (2000- ).

Amaranth United Church

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1990

The Amaranth United Church existed in the community of Amaranth, Manitoba, which is located northeast of Neepawa in the Rural Municipality of Alonsa, from 1925 to 1990. In 1925, the field included preaching points at Amaranth, Lakeland, Langruth, Swalley and Leifur. Reverend George W. Langdon presided over this charge. Its predecessor was a union with the local Anglican Church that was formed in 1925. Before joining the United Church of Canada in 1925, it was a Presbyterian congregation. The local school was used for services until the old manse was converted into a church and dedicated on June 5, 1937 as the United Church of Amaranth. The arrangement with the Anglicans lasted until a United Church was built was volunteers in 1952. This new church, located on Lots 1, 2, and 3, Plan 449, SW1/4 1- 19 -10W, was dedicated on August 17, 1952 and the manse was sold. In 1963, the Plumas-Lakeshore Pastoral Charge was created and included Amaranth, Plumas, Glenella, Alonsa and Langruth. Faced with the closure of the local gypsum mine in the early 1970s, a dwindling congregation with a lack of funds voted to disband and amalgamated with Langruth on July 1 1975. The congregation reorganized in a few years later, however, and rejoined the Plumas-Lakeshore Pastoral charge in 1978. In 1982 the field was realigned and divided. The existing five-point charge was divided into two fields so that the Plumas charge now consisted of Plumas and Glenella and the Lakeshore charge consisted of Amaranth, Alonsa and Langruth. The Amaranth United Church closed its doors in 1990. The last service was held on June 24, 1990, and was officially closed on June 30, 1990. The building and property was sold to an insurance agency in 1992, and a cairn has been placed on the former site of the church.

American Association of University Professors / University of Manitoba Chapter

  • AAUP/UM
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-

The University of Manitoba Chapter of the American Association of University Professors was established in 1949, and was possibly the first Canadian chapter of the association. Members of the first executive included William Stobie, President, and E.G. Berry, P. Gelrud, and W. Leach, who served as committee members.

Results 71 to 80 of 8371