Johnny Miles was a Marathon Runner.
Johnny Miles was a Marathon Runner.
The mission at Fisherton, located in the R.M. of Fisher, 150 km north of Winnipeg, first appears in the 1914 Synod Journal with Peguis. The "Busy Bees Club" of Fisherton decided after the First World War to raise money to build an Anglican Church. Plans for the church began in 1927 but was put on hold until more money was raised. Mr Bob O'Malley donated 2 acres of land for the church site in 1930. Construction of a church finally began in the summer of 1932 after the Diocese gave a building grant of $200. The church was dedicated by Archbishop Isaac Stringer on September 4, 1932. The Busy Bees also paid for the board of students from Toronto Trinity College who came to conduct services. There was no incumbent for Fisherton from 1924-1939. It was independently known as "Fisherton North" from 1924-1928 and 1936-1939, and associated with Hodgson from 1929-1933. It was not listed in the Synod Journal from 1941-1962. The church was destroyed by fire on July 23, 1968 and was replaced by the former church building of All Saints, Scotch Bay, which was built in 1938. All Saints Church was brought to its new home on April 2, 1969. St John, Fisherton was also connected with Hodgson from 1965-1968, and has been connected with Hodgson - Peguis Parish since 1969.
Fisher River Methodist Church existed in the northern Manitoba community of Koostatak, northeast of Hodgson, from 1881 to 1925. A Native Assistant named Thomas Hope was the first to serve the mission in 1878. The Methodist Church was first granted permission to occupy lots 22 and 23 on the reserve in 1883. Lot 22 was described as being four chains wide and ran about 2 miles back from the river, in the centre of the reserve. The first church was built in 1881, which was replaced by another church in 1901. It officially joined The United Church of Canada in 1925 and became Fisher River United Church.
First Presbyterian Church existed in the Manitoba community of Oak Lake, located southeast of Virden, from 1885 to 1920. Construction began on a church located on Lots 19 and 20, Block 14, in the Town of Oak Lake in February of 1885 and officially opened in November of that year. It had four preaching points at the time of the church's construction. The first resident minister was Rev. D.H. Hodges. The church building was used as the local schoolhouse until a separate building was erected. It was also shared by the Anglican congregation until St. Alban's Anglican Church was built in 1890. By 1896, the congregation had grown too large for the church and services were moved into Cameron's Hall, now known as the Olde Town Gallery. The church was sold and used as a harness shop. Later, it served as a warehouse for Anderson's store. A new church was built in 1900 and dedicated by Rev. Dr. Bryce on November 13, 1900. First Presbyterian Church entered a Local Union with Oak Lake Methodist Church in 1920, and the Presbyterian Church continued to be used as the Oak Lake Union Church.
First Congregational Church existed in Winnipeg from 1879 until 1883. The first meeting of the congregational church took place in 1879 at the home of K. F. Lockhart. Early Sunday School and worship services were held in City Hall. A church was built in 1882 on the corner of Hargrave Street and Qu'Appelle Avenue. However, financial difficulties culminated in the foreclosure of the First Congregational Church building by the bank, and the dissolution of the congregation. Rev. J. B. Silcox then raised enough money to buy back the church, and as proprietor he loaned the building back to the congregation. The congregation renamed itself 'Central Congregational Church'.
The Finnish United Church was in operation in Winnipeg from 1929 to 1932. There is little information available about the founding, membership or dissolution of the church.
Fifth Avenue United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Souris, located south of Brandon, from 1925 to 1946. Its predecessor was Fifth Avenue Methodist Church. Fifth Avenue Methodist Church and Knox Presbyterian Church each became United Churches and initially kept their own church buildings and ministers. In 1925, Fifth Avenue United Church was associated with Riverview. Rev. T. Neville presided at this time. In 1938, Knox's Rev. G. Abernathy had become ill and Fifth Avenue's Rev. N. Daynard suggested that he preach in both churches until Rev. Abernathy was well. More joint preaching was undertaken in summer and fall, following which it was proposed that united services continue. Later Rev. Abernathy left and Rev. Daynard continued, the two churches sharing his salary. Locally Fifth Avenue Church was known as the "east" church at that time. In 1942 Souris Air School opened and the basement of the "east" church was equipped as a club room for the airmen. Knox Church, the "west" church, was then being used for all worship services. In 1944 the congregations decided to use only the "east" church. The auditorium ceiling was lowered and oil heat installed. The "west" church's pipe organ was moved and rebuilt in the "east" church. Fifth Avenue United Church was renamed St. Paul's United Church in 1946.
Fifth Avenue Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Souris, located south of Brandon, from 1888 to 1925. Methodist history in the area began August 9, 1881 when Rev. Hall, a Methodist missionary, held a service on the G. Wood farm one mile west of Souris (then called Plum Creek). The next year the first permanent minister, Rev. J. Harrison, arrived in August. He and his wife lived in a tent until a building which served as a parsonage below and a church upstairs was erected. Soon preaching occurred at nine points within 25 miles. In 1887-88, under Rev. C. Parker, there were eleven: Souris, Leesons, Carruthers, Riverview, Fosters, Beresford, Bates, Menteith, Breezelawn, Hebron, and Maddis. Also in 1888, under Rev. T. B. Wilson's direction, the first church was built; it seated 250 and had a basement divided for Sunday School. Rev. J. P. Wilson from Brandon gave the dedication service. This building burned shortly after the second church opened in 1907. In 1907, the new Fifth Avenue Methodist Church was built; it incorporated beautiful stained glass windows donated by the Railroad Men of Souris. Rev. Dr. Sparling from Winnipeg's Wesley College presided at the opening held February 9, 1908. In 1925, Fifth Avenue Methodist Church officially joined The United Church of Canada to become Fifth Avenue United Church.