- No dates known
Education: PhD Neuroscience (Utah) 1995
Positions: Assoc Prof (UMPharmacology & Therapeutics)
Education: PhD Neuroscience (Utah) 1995
Positions: Assoc Prof (UMPharmacology & Therapeutics)
Mennonite Brethren families began arriving in Alberta in the 1920s. They had been preceded by Mennonites from other conference backgrounds since the 1890s. These Mennonites formed various settlements and congregations in what was to become central Alberta. When the Mennonite Brethren families arrived in the 1920s they were directed via the Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization to Canadian Pacific Railway land. Since these Mennonites were subsidized in part by the railway along with guarantees from the Canadian government, it was natural for them to direct these Mennonites to settle in these newly developed land areas in southern Alberta. This land had been developed for irrigation farming. Thus, Mennonite Brethren communities formed in Coaldale, Gem, Vauxhall, and Rosemary. The first three of these congregations were formed in the 1920s, the largest being in Coaldale. These congregations, along with others, then formed the Alberta Conference of Mennonite Brethren churches in 1928. They met in Coaldale for their first convention and had representatives from eight communities in southern Alberta. By the mid-1930s families were also settling in the more northerly parts of the province, mostly in the Peace River area. In the early 1940s the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren (Allianz) congregations merged with Mennonite Brethren Conference. The issue of military service and their position on non-resistance dominated discussion in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Consolidation of many small groups into larger congregations became more possible with increased mobility in the late 1940s. Also, city mission work was begun during these years. In the 1950s these city groups began to become independent congregations, with increased movement to the urban centres for employment, business, and education. A number of educational institutes, Bible Schools and a High School, were a heavy emphasis from the 1930s to the 1960s. The Bible School at Coaldale was the last to close. The result was a joint support of the Bible School at Hepburn, Saskatchewan. A camping programme was begun in the 1950s. It expanded over the next decades to become a year-round activity on their own camp property. The language transition from German to English occurred mostly in the 1960s. Coaldale had been the centre of the conference for nearly 40 years but now the urban centres became the foci of the conference and more leaders emerged from these congregations. By 1990 about half of the members were from urban congregations. Missions was always a central activity of the conference. Urban church planting was an early emphasis and in the 1970s and 1980s they also emphasized work among aboriginals in the province. The conference was also involved in international development work through M.B. Missions and Services and Mennonite Central Committee.
In 1929 the Coaldale Bible School, also known as Morning Star, was opened under the direction of its founder, A.J. Shierling. The following year the school hired its second teacher, J.A. Toews, Sr. During the next twenty years the school experienced steady growth in attendance, reaching its peak in 1948 with 101 students. Other principals: B.W. Sawatzky, J.A. Toews Jr., David Ewert, A.P. Regier, H. Derksen, and A.J. Konrad. With the urbanization of the Mennonite population, plus other factors, the enrollment began to drop. The school finally closed in 1965.
Education has been an important aspect of Mennonite life. In the mid 1920s, a large settlement of Mennonites, the majority of them Mennonite Brethren, began in the Coaldale area. They were concerned about the potential adverse effect of public education on their children and therefore the desire quickly grew to establish their own high school. The Mennonite Brethren church in Coaldale, Alberta established the Mennonite Educational Society in the Spring of 1946 with the leadership of B.B. Janz. In the fall, the Alberta Mennonite High School opened with H. Thiessen as principal. Instruction was given to forty-two students in grades nine to twelve. In 1951, after grades seven and eight were added, enrolment rose to ninety. Although investments in buildings and salaries were low, immense financial strain was placed on the society's 100 members. Along with a chronic financial burden, the constituency's loyalty was split with the Coaldale Bible School. Eventually both institutions closed. The Alberta Mennonite High School closed its doors in 1964.
The Alberta Wheat Pool, a voluntary cooperative organization, was incorporated in 1923 to create stability in the wheat market in response to a downward trend in wheat and farm prices in 1920-1923. Its first president was Henry Wise Wood. The pool, from its first office in Calgary, became one of the largest grain-handling cooperatives in Canada. Owned and controlled by its members, it operated country grain elevators across Alberta and northeast British Columbia. It handled approximately two-thirds of Alberta's grain exports. In addition to its original mandate of enabling farmers to bargain collectively with grain buyers, the AWP also provided grain services for members including storage and handling, grain merchandising, fertilizer and seed grain sales, farm equipment, financing, and agricultural research. It has also ensured farmers a voice in the formation of national grain-marketing policies and has been involved in the establishment of the Canadian Wheat Board. On November 1, 1998 the Wheat Pool merged with Manitoba Pool Elevators to form Agricore. In 2001 Agricore merged with United Grain Growers Ltd. to form Agricore United. In 2007 Agricore United was purchased by the Saskatchewan Wheat Poll and the new company was rebranded to be known as Viterra. For further information see Tides in the West / Leonard D. Nesbitt. - Saskatoon : Modern Press, 1962.
Aida Alberts was born February 23, 1933 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Her dance training began in Vancouver and in the early 1950’s she moved to Toronto to dance with the Ballet Interlude at the Canadian School of Ballet. She joined the Royal Winnipeg Ballet in 1953 as a member of the corps de ballet. She returned to Vancouver after the fire that destroyed the RWB building in June of 1954, where she performed for television and stage productions. She and her mother Mary Alberts later opened their own dance studios. She married Gary Hughesman in 1957. She belonged to the Canadian Dance Teachers’ Association and served as its president in the 1990s. Aida Alberts Hughesman most recently taught Ballet/Musical Theatre/Spanish Dance at the Maple Ridge Seniors Activity Centre in British Columbia.
The Albrecht family immigrated to Canada from the Russia in 1925 and settled in Manitoba. The family included the parents Peter A. Albrecht (1882-1952) and Maria (Dyck) Albrecht (1888-1965)and their three sons Peter (1910-1993), Abram (1912-1993) and Henry (1913-2007). As member a of the Mennonite community in Imperial Russia, Peter A. Albrecht, did alternative service in a forestry camp, serving as the camp's treasurer. In the forestry camps (Forestei), the young men learned to work together, performed labour for the good of the country and remained true to their conscience by not participating in direct military war actions. The young men were proud of their uniforms, often wearing them on Sundays, on holidays and for photographs. After 1914, these forestry men served in the Red Cross until 1917. The Albrecht family cherished the few items that survived from their life in Russia, when the came to Canada.
Henry Mills Alden was born in 1836. He was an editor with Harper and Brothers Publishing in New York, which published Harper's Magazine. He died in 1919.
Griswold MB Church was founded on June 5, 1926 with Henry Penner of Alexander as its leader. There were 22 members which met in homes until 1929 when a church building was bought in Griswold with a seating capacity of 150 people. In 1954 the congregation built a new church in Alexander. Their dedication service was held on September 19, 1954. The name was changed to Alexander MB Church. On April 16, 1973, there was a unanimous decision to close the church. All memberships were transferred to the Brandon MB Church. The churches leaders included: Jacob Abrahams (1930), J. J. Friesen (1931-1932), P. J. Heide (1933), J. N. Wittenberg (1934-1937), Peter Mandtler (1938-1944), Abraham Friesen (1945-1951), Abe L. Klassen (1952), John J. Krueger (1953-1960), H. C. Schroeder (1961-1964), Peter J. Doerksen (1966-1971).
Alexander Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Alexander, west of Brandon in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead, from 1886 to 1919. The first Methodist church services were held in the home of Mr. G.M. Yeoman and were conducted by Mr. Thomas Lawson of Brandon. Mr. Lawson was a student who conducted worship services in Alexander and Griswold in 1881. A Methodist Church was built in 1886 with lay preachers, Mr. G.O. Buchannan and Mr. James McEwen Sr. conducting the services. The church was also built by Mr. James McEwen. In 1893 The Rev. J.C. Walker conducted regular worship services in Dalton School for several years. The charge included Alexander, Griswold, Shilo (South Kenton), Rowan(now Bradwardine), and Ryerson. The Rev. J.W. Ridd served the charge until a Local Union was formed in 1919 between Alexander Methodist Church and the Alexander Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterian church was used for the Alexander Union Church.