- Corporate body
Adam Fiddler United Church has existed in the North-western Ontario community of Sandy Lake since 1942, though missionaries first entered the community in 1900. Rev. F.G. Stevens, a Methodist minister from Oxford House, travelled to meet the people of Sandy Lake at their request, from 1897-1899, and was finally successful in meeting with them in 1900. Due to complications in reaching the community, contact with missionaries was infrequent. A local man, Adam Fiddler, stepped into the role of lay minister, eventually becoming licensed by the church for administering the Sacraments. Fiddler also built a church under his own auspices, though supplies were sent by Rev. Stevens in 1941. The church was finished in 1942. In 1956 a summer school was started in the community, and two years later Jim Synkar, the teacher, became the community's first year-round minister. A new church was built in 1960, as was a manse. Originally part of the Norway House Presbytery, Adam Fiddler United Church was transferred to the Kenora-Rainy River Presbytery in 1957; Kenora-Rainy River became Cambrian Presbytery in 1973. Upon the creation of the Keewatin Presbytery in 1981, Adam Fiddler United Church was transferred there, where it remains to today.