Showing 8370 results

authority records

Abbott, Eileen Bulman

  • abbott
  • Person
  • 1896-1980

Eileen Bulman Abbott received her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Manitoba in 1918 and was the second woman at the University of Manitoba to receive a Bachelor of Science degree when she did so in 1919.

Abel, Dave

  • Person
  • 2001

Mr. Abel was president of the Transcona Credit Union (1995 to --- ). He joined as a Board Member in 1986, held offices of 2nd Vice President (1988), 1st Vice President (1991). He Joined TCU as a member in 1976.

Aberdeen Mennonite Brethren Church

  • Corporate body

The Aberdeen Mennonite Brethren Church, located in northern Saskatchewan, was a member of the Canadian Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches, Rosthern District. The first settlers, consisting of seven families, came to the Aberdeen area in May of 1903. They gave their membership certificates from Russia to Jacob Wiens of Ebenfeld (Laird). At first, the Aberdeen settlers gathered in the home of G.J. Sawatzky, a deacon from Russia, for regular church services. In 1904, when more settlers came from Russia, local services were organized, Sunday School was begun, and a choir was formed under the leadership of A.G. Sawatzky. From 1904-1909, services were held in the Neu Steinbach School. In 1905, Jacob Wiens (Ebenfeld) served six candidates with baptism. Gerhard Siemens from Russia visited Aberdeen in 1906 and under his direction G.J. Sawatzky began the leadership of the church. Minutes and financial records were kept, starting in 1906. The congregation erected a church building in 1909 which was paid for by the following year. Pastors in the church were: G.J. Sawatzky (1906-1909), John P. Siemens (1909-1921), H.G. Sawatzky (1921-1931), Ben L. Sawatzky (1932-1941), Johann Kruger (1942), H.W. Niessen (1943-1944), G.K. Sawatzky (1945-1952), and Archie Kruger (1953-1960). In the 1930s, membership in Aberdeen M.B. Church was over one-hundred, but by 1960, only eighteen members were left. The church closed and the remaining members joined the Saskatoon Mennonite Brethren churches.

Aberdeen Mennonite Church

  • Corporate body

Aberdeen was one of the congregations with a meeting house of the Rosenorter Gemeinde in Saskatchewan. The founder of this Gemeinde was Peter Regier (1851-1925). He had been appointed Ältester in 1887 in Prussia. He emigrated to Tiefengrund, Saskatchewan in 1893. Enough families had settled in the area so that in 1894 the Rosenorter Gemeinde of Saskatchewan had been founded. In 1909 there were enough families in the wider area to form districts with a minister in charge of each. One of these was Aberdeen which had families worshipping together since 1907 under the leadership of Cornelius Ens. There were 130 members worshipping in this district. In 1910 the meeting house at Aberdeen was completed. During the next decade or so the congregation was served by various non-resident ministers of the Gemeinde. Jacob Nickel emigrated to Aberdeen in 1924 and remained their leader until 1937. During this time he also taught in the Bible School in Rosthern. The meeting house was moved onto a basement at the same site in 1939. The building was renovated in 1950 and again in 1964. In 1962 the Rosenorter Gemeinde was dissolved and each congregation became independent. The membership was 103 in 1963. That figure remained fairly constant; in 2000 it was 102. Leaders of the congregation were: Cornelius Ens (1907-1915), Jacob Nickel (1924-1937), Peter Koop (1932-1946), Heinrich Neudorf (1932-1947), Bernhard Fast (1947-1955), Franz Koop (1951-1973), John Peters (1973-1976, 1983), John Kroeger (1977-1982), Verner Friesen (1984-1991), Rod Suderman (1992-1999), David Neufeld (2000- ).

Abernethy Elevator Local #702

  • abernethy
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-2001

The Abernethy, Saskatchewan grain elevators were built in the early 1900s by various grain companies. Five elevators existed in Abernethy: Beaver (1904), International (1906), Maple Leaf (1908), North Star (1904) and Farmers’ Elevator Company (1907). In 1948, the United Grain Growers purchased the oldest Abernethy elevator from Reliance Grain. Over the next twenty years, United Grain Growers purchased the three major elevators in Abernethy, consisting of some of the oldest still functioning in Canada. At the same time of United Grain Growers' expansion into Abernethy, a re-organization of Locals followed to provide representation for labor. The United Grain Growers Local #702 formed in 1949 and included farmers from Balcarres, Saskatchewan. Local #702 remained active as a representative union for the farmer owned company until United Grain Growers’ merger with Agricore United in 2001.

Abrams, Max

  • Person
  • fl 1961-1997

Transcona resident for thirty-eight years. Worked as armourer in the Princess Patricia Light Infantry. Served as Curator for the Royal Winnipeg Rifles Museum. Moved to Chilliwack, B.C.

Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office

  • Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office
  • Corporate body
  • 2001-

The University of Manitoba Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office was initially established as the FIPPA/PHIA Office within the Archives & Special Collections unit in 2001. The purpose of the office was to implement The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) on behalf of the University. In 2008, the FIPPA/PHIA Office underwent administrative changes, being renamed the Access & Privacy Coordinator’s Office under the Vice-President (Administration). In 2010, the office was transferred to the newly formed Office of Fair Practices & Legal Affairs.

Adam Fiddler United Church

  • Corporate body

Adam Fiddler United Church has existed in the North-western Ontario community of Sandy Lake since 1942, though missionaries first entered the community in 1900. Rev. F.G. Stevens, a Methodist minister from Oxford House, travelled to meet the people of Sandy Lake at their request, from 1897-1899, and was finally successful in meeting with them in 1900. Due to complications in reaching the community, contact with missionaries was infrequent. A local man, Adam Fiddler, stepped into the role of lay minister, eventually becoming licensed by the church for administering the Sacraments. Fiddler also built a church under his own auspices, though supplies were sent by Rev. Stevens in 1941. The church was finished in 1942. In 1956 a summer school was started in the community, and two years later Jim Synkar, the teacher, became the community's first year-round minister. A new church was built in 1960, as was a manse. Originally part of the Norway House Presbytery, Adam Fiddler United Church was transferred to the Kenora-Rainy River Presbytery in 1957; Kenora-Rainy River became Cambrian Presbytery in 1973. Upon the creation of the Keewatin Presbytery in 1981, Adam Fiddler United Church was transferred there, where it remains to today.

Adam, Kenneth

  • adam
  • Person
  • 19??-

Over the course of his career as a professional engineer, Dr. Kenneth Adam has found employment with a variety of engineering companies and private consulting firms, including Templeton Engineering, I.D. Engineering, Sentar Consultants, and Earth Tech Canada. In addition, Adam was also employed as an associate professor in the University of Manitoba's Department of Civil Engineering from 1972 to 1976. Specializing in the construction of winter roads in the Canadian North, Adam has authored a number of articles and publications on subjects ranging from the environmental impact of snow and ice roads, to the development of improved snow blowers and pavers. Adam has also produced a variety of research reports and studies for both government and business, with clients including the Department of External Affairs, Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, the Izok project, and the Environment Protection Board, among others. Kenneth Adam currently resides in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Results 11 to 20 of 8370