Showing 15 results

authority records
Ogniwo Polish Museum Archives

Kulczycki, Lukasz, 1911-2018

  • CA-OPMA-AR-07
  • Person
  • 1911-2018

Lukasz (a.k.a. Łukasz, Lucas) Kulczycki was born on August 19, 1911, in Jurampol, Poland (Ternopil region in the present-day Ukraine) to parents Ludwik and Rozalia (nee Stabiszewska) Kulczycki.

Lukasz Kulczycki obtained his post-secondary education in Lwow, Poland. He graduated from Lwow University as a Doctor of Bacteriology and a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine through the Academy of Veterinary Medicine in Lwow in 1936.

At the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, Łukasz Kulczycki was in his second year of Law at Uniwersytet Jana Kazimierza in Lwow. He crossed over the Carpathian Mountains on foot, making his way to Hungary. From there, he made his way to France and then to Liverpool in 1940, where he served in the Polish Armed Forces. He studied in Pediatrics at the University of London, England, and received a degree in Public Health and Pediatrics. In 1943, he began his studies at the Polish School of Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, where he received his medical degree in [1945].
Dr. Kulczycki immigrated to Canada in 1950. He lived in Swan River, Manitoba, where he served as a Medical Director at the Department of Health until 1953. He then moved to the United States, where he developed an eminent career as a pediatrician specializing in cystic fibrosis. He worked in pediatrics at the Boston Children’s Medical Center, and was an instructor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. He was the Clinical Director at what was at the time called the State Institution for Retarded Children,* and the consulting pediatrician in cystic fibrosis in the state of Maine. He also served as Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, Georgetown University Medical School, specializing in cystic fibrosis, and as the Director of Cystic Fibrosis Program at the Children’s Hospital in Washington, D.C.
Dr Kulczycki was the founder and first president of the Polish American Health Association (PAHA), which was incorporated in 1992.
Dr. Kulczycki died on May 3, 2018 in McLean, Virginia, USA.

*Ogniwo Polish Museum recognizes that this term is no longer an acceptable term for a person living with an intellectual disability. If you have concerns about the language used in this description, please reach out to us.

Hubicz, Edward, 1912-1999

  • CA-OPMA-AR-09
  • Person
  • 1912-1999

Edward Michael Hubicz was born in September 25, 1912, in Bodzanow, Poland, to Michal Hubicz and Petronella Wroblonski. The Hubicz family immigrated to Canada in April 1913.
Hubicz attended St. John Cantius Parish School, Lord Nelson School, and Isaac Newton School in Winnipeg. In 1929, Hubicz attended St. John’s College in St. Jean, Quebec. In 1935, he entered the Poznan Diocesan Seminary in Poland and was ordained as a subdeacon, followed by a year at St. Augustine’s Seminary in Toronto, Ontario. He was ordained into priesthood on July 16, 1939 at the Archdiocese of Winnipeg, giving his first Mass at St. John Cantius Church. Throughout his career, he served in the following roles:

  • Parochial Vicar at Holy Trinity, Sifton (1939)
  • Parochial Vicar at St. John Cantius, Winnipeg (1940-43)
  • Pastor at Sts. Peter and Paul, Pine River (1943-44)
  • Pastor at Corpus Christi, Winnipegosis (1944-49)
  • Pastor at St. Michael’s Church, Gimli
  • Pastor at Our Lady of the Lake, Winnipeg Beach (1956-67)
  • Pastor at St. John Cantius, Winnipeg (1967-85).
  • Chaplain to the Missionary Oblate Sisters of Mary Immaculate
  • Chaplain to Sisters of St. Benedict
  • Chaplain to Sisters of the Holy Names.
  • Vice Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Winnipeg (1951-1952)
  • Chancellor (1952-56) Director of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine
  • Defender of the Bond, Marriage Tribunal (1952-68).
  • Vicar General during the absence of the Cardinal in 1969.
    Hubicz was a member of the Polish Priests' Association in Canada (CPAC) and the original Millennium Committee (later, Millennium Fund).
    Hubicz was appointed as a Prelate of Honour by Pope Paul VI, and was invested by George Bernard Cardinal Flahiff in 1974.
    Hubicz retired from active ministry on August 3, 1985. He authored three books: “The History of Our Lady of the Lake Church” (1956), “Father Joe: A Manitoban Missionary” (1958), and “Polish Churches in Manitoba” (1960). He also published an article in the Manitoba Pageant titled “First Polish Settlers in Manitoba” (April 1957).

Edward M. Hubicz died in Winnipeg on November 19, 1999, and was buried at Assumption Cemetery.

Haydey, Caroline, 1919-2009

  • CA-OPMA-AR-02
  • Person
  • 1919-2009

Caroline (nee Andrejowich) Haydey was born on September 26, 1919, in Witkowo (a.k.a. Fitkiw) Poland, to parents William (Wasyl) and Pauline (Paulina) Andrejowich. The Andrejowich family settled on a 20-acre farm in the Cook's Creek area in Manitoba. Caroline attended Zora school in Cook’s Creek until grade 8. Her father, Wasyl, worked as a furrier in Winnipeg, while her mother worked as the Vice President of City Gas, Heating, and Appliance Co., Ltd., which she ran together with Caroline’s brother John.

Caroline moved to Winnipeg to complete her education, attending Machray School for grade 9 while working as a nanny. She then began a program at St. John’s Technical High School, but became sick and moved home again. The following year, she returned to Winnipeg and began attending Daniel MacIntyre School. She worked for room and board in Brandon, and was eventually able to attend Normal School. She also taught music to junior classes at Zora School.

She married Peter Haydey of Gonor and had two children, Richard Haydey and Teresa (nee Haydey) Benoit. She worked as a music teacher in Rockwood School for five years. At the same time, she attended night classes and summer school to obtain her B.A. and B.Ed. degrees. She also taught at Grant Park Junior High School and Greenway School.

Upon her retirement in 1980, Caroline Haydey received a Manitoba Teachers’ Society scholarship, which enabled her to relocate to Munich, Germany, for three years in order to obtain her PhD.

Caroline Haydey died on October 26, 2009, in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

CZAS - Polish Press Ltd., 1914-2011

  • CA-OPMA-AR-05
  • Corporate body
  • 1914-2011

CZAS (a.k.a. “Czas,” “The Times” or “The Polish Times”) is a Polish-language ethnic weekly newspaper established in Winnipeg in 1914. It is the oldest Polish-language newspaper in Canada. At the time of its establishment, Winnipeg was a central hub for Polish immigration to Canada. CZAS arose in response to a need in the Polish-Canadian community to connect with Polonia on the local, provincial, national, and international levels, and to obtain information on events happening in the local community and abroad. It helped the established Polish-Canadian community to stay connected and informed, while providing links to knowledge, advice, and resources--as well as a sense of belonging--for newly-arrived Polish immigrants. Prior to the establishment of CZAS, five other Polish-Canadian newspapers had been published in Winnipeg between 1904 and 1908, including Gazeta Katolicka (“The Catholic Weekly”), Głos Kanadyjski (“The Canadian Voice”), Prawda (“Truth”), Gazeta Polska (“The Polish Gazette”), and Echo Kanadyjskie (“The Canadian Echo”).

In 1913, under the guidance of Maks Major, the members of the Polish Gymnastic Association Sokol (Sokół) in Winnipeg established Gazeta Narodowa, which lasted only a few months. Major then began working with František (Frank or Franciszek) Dojacek, a Czech immigrant and bookseller based in Winnipeg’s North End neighbourhood. Dojacek, who spoke seven languages and saw the business potential in catering to the publication needs of Winnipeg’s Eastern European population, established the Polish National Publishing Company, under which CZAS was first published in 1915. CZAS advertised itself as “the only progressive Polish weekly in Canada” (“Jedyny Postępowy Tygodnik Polski w Kanadzie”).

CZAS was published by Canada North-West Publishing Company from 1915 to 1920 and by the National Press Limited between 1920 and 1931.

In 1930, some members of Winnipeg’s Polish community began to feel that their political and religious leanings were not being accurately presented via CZAS under Dojacek and its editors at the time. In response to the perceived need to better represent the Polish community’s interests and opinions, Polish immigrant Józef (Joseph) Kolt rallied members of the local Polish Winnipeg organizations Sokol and St. John’s Cantius with the hope of launching a new Polish-run press. However, this proved untenable as a result of the economic depression, which was responsible for the shuttering of Polish-language publications across North America. Frank Dojacek, who too was feeling the effects of the Depression, agreed to sell CZAS and all of his printing press equipment to the Polish Press Ltd., with Jozef Kolt serving as President of its Board of Directors. Polish Press Ltd. was officially launched on September 30, 1931.

Under new editor Julian Nowacki, CZAS under Polish Press Ltd. strove to maintain a politically and religiously neutral tone. The meeting minutes from October 1931 state that “after a thorough discussion, [it was agreed] that the character of CZAS be favorably inclined towards the working class - in matters of religion to be neutral.” (OPMA A-2017-4, Box 2, Folder 8). Jozef Kolt, meanwhile, helped to expand the newspaper’s readership by canvassing the local Polish community and even paying out of pocket to help cover expenses related to its publication and distribution. The economic crisis, political strife, and logistical problems related to its incorporation continually threatened Polish Press Ltd. and the publication of CZAS. Kolt enlisted the help of Winnipeg’s Polish community, including lawyer Bronisław Bernard (B.B.) Dubieński.

On October 31, 1933, the offices of CZAS were moved to 848 Main Street, Winnipeg.

Throughout the years, the writers and editors of CZAS tried, where possible, to present articles that were written with the goals of uniting Polonia and helping to generate positive connections, and tended to avoid divisive politics. Following the Second World War, a new wave of Polish immigrants helped keep CZAS operating. By 1975, the weekly newspaper had a readership of over 5,000.

In 1998, facing a decline in subscriptions and advertisers, the Board of Directors of Polish Press Ltd. met to discuss options for keeping the publication running. Lech Fulmyk, Chair of the Board of Directors of Polish Press Inc., resigned, followed by the remainder of the board. An interim board was elected to evaluate the possibility of maintaining CZAS, of which Krystyna Gajda became Chair. Polish Press Ltd. underwent some upheaval in this era due to staffing and office location changes, but managed to continue publication of CZAS, even laying out and arranging issues from the home of Krystyna and Bogumil Gajda. The publication changed from weekly to bi-weekly. The board continued to solicit advertisers to generate enough revenue to become self-sufficient. Around this time, the Polish Educational Society decided to sell its building at 1150 Main Street, from which CZAS had been operating. To keep running, the office was relocated to the Canadian Polish Congress building at 207 Cathedral Avenue in Winnipeg, and finally, to the Ogniwo Polish Museum building at 1417 Main Street in Winnipeg.

In June 2004, once again facing a decline in revenue, the Board of Directors of Polish Press Ltd. agreed to loan the name CZAS to Fakty Ltd. of Toronto, the publisher of Polish newspaper ZWIAZKOWIEC, in publication since 1933. It was agreed that Polish Press Ltd. would supply its subscription list, advertisers’ information, and distribution locations, while Fakty Inc. would bear the costs of production and general distribution. CZAS-ZWIAZKOWIEC began publication in July 2004.

The Polish Press Ltd. was formally dissolved in 2011 and the office on Main Street in Winnipeg was closed. CZAS-ZWIAZKOWIEC continues publication under Fakty Inc. as of 2018.

In 2003, a collection of bound CZAS newspapers for the years 1915 to 2003 was donated by the CZAS - Polish Press Ltd. executive to the Archives & Special Collections at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg. Ogniwo Polish Museum holds bound volumes of CZAS for the years 1944, 1981, and 1986-2008.

Balinski, Stefan, 1927-2010

  • CA-OPMA-AR-04
  • Person
  • 1927-2010

Stefan Baliński was born on August 7, 1927, in Warsaw, Poland, to parents Feliks and Stanisława. When the Second World War broke out, he joined the underground army at the age of 14. In October of 1942, he joined the Polish Home Army and took part in the Warsaw Uprising for its 63 days, first fighting in the Old Town and then in Mokotów, in midtown Warsaw. Following the Uprising, he was a Prisoner of War, escaping from the PoW camp in April of 1945. From there, he was in a transit camp, eventually making his way to Italy, where he served in the Polish II Corps under General Wladyslaw Anders. In 1947, he returned to Warsaw to find his parents, only to find that his family home had been destroyed in the War.

After the War, he hoped to complete a law degree, but having participated in the Warsaw Uprising, encountered difficulties and political resistance under the Communist regime, and was unable to do so. His resistance to the Polish Communist government made it increasingly difficult for him to remain in Poland, and in the late 1960s, he obtained papers to leave the country and made his way to Denmark. From Denmark, he made his way to Canada in 1970, settling in Winnipeg.

In Winnipeg, Baliński launched and led the TV program Polish TV between 1973 and 1976, delivering news from Poland and reporting on local Polish community events in Winnipeg. Next, he became involved in radio, leading the Radio Polonia program hosted by the multi-lingual station CKJS 810 in Winnipeg. He remained at Radio Polonia for 25 years. In that time, he helped develop the Polish program, finding sponsors and supporters. Over the years, under Baliński’s leadership, the program grew in length from a half-hour show to a three-hour show. Radio Polonia delivered content catered to the Polish community in Winnipeg, relaying news, Polish music and cultural content, and information about events in the local Polish community. The program also presented interviews with community members and delivered special programs dedicated to children. Starting in 1987, under Baliński's initiative, Radio Polonia also began to transmit live auditions of Mass from Holy Ghost Church in Winnipeg. Baliński resigned from Radio Polonia in October 1999 following a stroke.

Baliński was a member of the Polish Combatants’ Association Branch #13 (Stowarzyszenie Polskich Kombatantów / SPK #13) and the Canadian Polish Congress, Manitoba Division (Kongres Polonii Kanadyjskiej Okręg Manitoba).

Baliński received a number of military honours for his service, including the Home Army Cross (Krzyż Armii Krajowej), the Warsaw Cross of the Uprising (Warszawski Krzyż Powstańczy), the Pro Memoria Medal, and the Gold Honour from the Polish Combatants’ Association (Stowarzyszenie Polskich Kombatantów Federacja Światowa Złoty Odznak Honorowy) in 1995. He also received an Apostolic Blessing from Pope John Paul II in 1989 for his community service.

Stefan Baliński died in Winnipeg on July 24, 2010.

Results 11 to 15 of 15