Showing 8240 results

authority records

Switzer Family

  • Family

Fred Switzer (1917-2002) took photographs of the Carberry, Manitoba area. He was born in Petrel, Manitoba and died in Carberry. He married Millie Dempsey and had children Joanne and John. His parents were Blanche and Jim Switzer. As a child, after his father's death, he and his mother moved to Gilbert Plains and at times in Carberry. He had been educated at Carberry. He worked in Carberry general store before becoming an air-frame technician during World War II. He later became a recreational pilot. After the War he became a storekeeper in Carberry, many years later selling to move to Winnipeg to work for the Federal Government Weights and measures and Manitoba Agriculture. He retired to Carberry. Mildred Margaret (Millie) (Dempsey) Switzer (1913-) collected photographs and other memorabilia of the Carberry, Manitoba area. She was born in Carberry to Thomas Hicks Dempsey and Eliza Delia May Craig. She had siblings Effie Alida May (Dempsey) Balfour (1901-1993) and Frank. Further biographical information is unknown. Esther Ann (Burns) Switzer (1846-1928) was one of the first settlers to the Carberry Plains area. She was born in Collingwood, Ontario and died in [Petrel], Manitoba. She was married to Daniel Switzer in Ingersoll and they had thirteen children. Prior to that she had moved with her family to homestead in the Petrel District in 1878.

Narvey, Fred

  • Person
  • 1913-2010

Fred Narvey was a Winnipeg writer and business owner.

Fred was born in Bird’s Hill, Manitoba to Kasriel and Faiga Narvey in 1913. The family moved to Winnipeg’s North End in 1915. When his father died in 1929, Fred quit school and began working for Purity Ice Cream. During his youth, Fred Narvey participated in anti-fascist activities including the Old Market Square Riot and serving as Chairman of the Jewish Anti-Fascists League Youth Section.

Married in 1936, Fred Narvey and Gertrude Bercovich opened a food stand on McDermot Avenue that later became Bright Spot Deli and Grocery. Fred later became a salesman for ladies clothing for Rusoff and Bronstone Sales Agency and eventually bought out the company. He retired from this business in 1978. Fred and Narvey had two children: Kenneth and Janice.

Narvey began writing short stories and non-fiction in his retirement that would be published in the Jewish Post and other periodicals. The stories mostly relate to Jewish life and, in particular, his own childhood.

Narvey volunteered with a number of Jewish organizations including the United Jewish People’s Order, the Progressive Arts Club and B’nai Brith. Fred Narvey died in Winnipeg in 2010.

McGuiness, Fred

  • Person

Fred McGuinness was born in Brandon, Manitoba in 1921. Mr. McGuiness was educated in public schools in Brandon and attended St. Paul's College and the University of Manitoba. He served in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II. Fred McGuiness was employed as a writer-researcher for the federal Department of Labour from 1946-51. He served as executive director of the Saskatchewan Golden Jubilee Committee from 1952-1956. From 1956-1966, Mr. McGuiness was publisher of the Medicine Hat News and V.P. Southam Press. He was associate editor of the Brandon Sun from 1966-1987 and Vice-President of Sun Publishing Ltd. Mr. McGuiness has had an extensive career as a freelancewriter and journalist for the CBC, Reader's Digest, and prairie weekly newspapers. He is the author of several books.

Fraserview Mennoite Brethren Church

  • Corporate body

Many Mennonite Brethren migrated to Vancouver in the 1940s and 1950s causing the newly finished Vancouver Mennonite Brethren Church to fill to overflowing. Also, there was a group of people who preferred services in English to German. With the full support from the Vancouver Mennonite Brethren Church, 238 people took initiative, and purchased land to build a new church. In November 1954 the Fraserview Mennonite Brethren Church was dedicated. David Vogt and John Neufeld were elected as the first leader and assistant leader of this new church. George Konrad and John Wall were hired to preach, alternately in German and English until they called their first pastor, Peter R. Toews. In 1954 they held their first business meeting, in 1955 they were officially accepted as a church of the BC Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, and later that year their application was admitted to the Canadian Conference. Before long the facilities were insufficient for the number of people attending and there was talk about establishing a new sanctuary with the cooperation of Vancouver MB Church and Fraserview Church. Although this proposal was not carried out, each church instead went ahead separately; Fraserview built the Killarney Park Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1960 space was again needed, but this time an extension was added to the existing church building. Some renovations were also done in 1967/1968. Again, membership grew, but expansion was not necessary as many people left the church to join the newly organized Richmond Bethel Mennonite Brethren Church in 1971. Ground breaking ceremonies for that building took place in the fall of 1977 and the dedication took place in May 1979. Leaders of the church included Peter R. Toews (1955–1962), Wilmer Kornelsen (1963–1967), John A. Toews (1968–1971), Loyal Funk (1972–1981), Peter R. Toews (1982–1983, "Bridging Pastor"), Peter W. Nikkel (1983–1990), Herb Brandt (1990–1991), Dan Unrau (1991– ). As of 2004 the average attendance at Fraserview was 315 with a membership of 214.

Fraser Heights Community Church

  • Corporate body

The Fraser Heights Community Church began services in 1992 and formally organized in 1993 through the outreach of the BC Conference Board of Church Extension. They were affiliated with the BC Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches as well as the General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches from 1992 until they closed in 2000. Merv and Carol Boschman are considered the founding leaders of the group. In 1996 they were a congregation of 86 members; in 2000, 80. In 2000 worship services were held at Pacific Academy School and Pastor Nelson Boschman served as congregational leader. When they closed their doors in 2000, members joined other congregations.

Sweet, Franklin W.

  • Person
  • 1869-1924

Dr. Sweet was born in Dayton, Ohio in 1869. He graduated from Denison University, Granville, Ohio, in 1889 and the Rochester Theological Seminary in Rochester, NY, in 1892. Dr. Sweet received the degree Doctor of Divinity from Denison University in 1921. F.W. Sweet's first pastorate was in Adrian, Michigan, where he was ordained. Dr. Sweet served ten years at the Calvary Church in Minneapolis. During WWI he served as a member of the Y.M.C.A. in Canada and overseas. In 1920, Dr. Sweet was appointed to a committee by the Baptist Northern Convention to inquire into the fidelity of Baptist colleges to orthodox Baptist doctrine. After Dr. H. P. Whidden, the President of Brandon College, retired in 1923, Dr. Sweet was offered the position. He accepted the offer and arrived in Brandon on September 10, 1923. He assumed office on October 11, 1923. Dr. Sweet died suddenly at his home in Brandon on December 30, 1924. He was 55 years old. He was survived by his wife and six children.

Results 1 to 10 of 8240