Showing 8280 results

authority records

First Presbyterian Church

  • Corporate body

First Presbyterian Church existed in the Manitoba community of Oak Lake, located southeast of Virden, from 1885 to 1920. Construction began on a church located on Lots 19 and 20, Block 14, in the Town of Oak Lake in February of 1885 and officially opened in November of that year. It had four preaching points at the time of the church's construction. The first resident minister was Rev. D.H. Hodges. The church building was used as the local schoolhouse until a separate building was erected. It was also shared by the Anglican congregation until St. Alban's Anglican Church was built in 1890. By 1896, the congregation had grown too large for the church and services were moved into Cameron's Hall, now known as the Olde Town Gallery. The church was sold and used as a harness shop. Later, it served as a warehouse for Anderson's store. A new church was built in 1900 and dedicated by Rev. Dr. Bryce on November 13, 1900. First Presbyterian Church entered a Local Union with Oak Lake Methodist Church in 1920, and the Presbyterian Church continued to be used as the Oak Lake Union Church.

First Congregational Church

  • Corporate body

First Congregational Church existed in Winnipeg from 1879 until 1883. The first meeting of the congregational church took place in 1879 at the home of K. F. Lockhart. Early Sunday School and worship services were held in City Hall. A church was built in 1882 on the corner of Hargrave Street and Qu'Appelle Avenue. However, financial difficulties culminated in the foreclosure of the First Congregational Church building by the bank, and the dissolution of the congregation. Rev. J. B. Silcox then raised enough money to buy back the church, and as proprietor he loaned the building back to the congregation. The congregation renamed itself 'Central Congregational Church'.

Finnish United Church

  • Corporate body

The Finnish United Church was in operation in Winnipeg from 1929 to 1932. There is little information available about the founding, membership or dissolution of the church.

Fifth Avenue United Church

  • Corporate body

Fifth Avenue United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Souris, located south of Brandon, from 1925 to 1946. Its predecessor was Fifth Avenue Methodist Church. Fifth Avenue Methodist Church and Knox Presbyterian Church each became United Churches and initially kept their own church buildings and ministers. In 1925, Fifth Avenue United Church was associated with Riverview. Rev. T. Neville presided at this time. In 1938, Knox's Rev. G. Abernathy had become ill and Fifth Avenue's Rev. N. Daynard suggested that he preach in both churches until Rev. Abernathy was well. More joint preaching was undertaken in summer and fall, following which it was proposed that united services continue. Later Rev. Abernathy left and Rev. Daynard continued, the two churches sharing his salary. Locally Fifth Avenue Church was known as the "east" church at that time. In 1942 Souris Air School opened and the basement of the "east" church was equipped as a club room for the airmen. Knox Church, the "west" church, was then being used for all worship services. In 1944 the congregations decided to use only the "east" church. The auditorium ceiling was lowered and oil heat installed. The "west" church's pipe organ was moved and rebuilt in the "east" church. Fifth Avenue United Church was renamed St. Paul's United Church in 1946.

Fifth Avenue Methodist Church

  • Corporate body

Fifth Avenue Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Souris, located south of Brandon, from 1888 to 1925. Methodist history in the area began August 9, 1881 when Rev. Hall, a Methodist missionary, held a service on the G. Wood farm one mile west of Souris (then called Plum Creek). The next year the first permanent minister, Rev. J. Harrison, arrived in August. He and his wife lived in a tent until a building which served as a parsonage below and a church upstairs was erected. Soon preaching occurred at nine points within 25 miles. In 1887-88, under Rev. C. Parker, there were eleven: Souris, Leesons, Carruthers, Riverview, Fosters, Beresford, Bates, Menteith, Breezelawn, Hebron, and Maddis. Also in 1888, under Rev. T. B. Wilson's direction, the first church was built; it seated 250 and had a basement divided for Sunday School. Rev. J. P. Wilson from Brandon gave the dedication service. This building burned shortly after the second church opened in 1907. In 1907, the new Fifth Avenue Methodist Church was built; it incorporated beautiful stained glass windows donated by the Railroad Men of Souris. Rev. Dr. Sparling from Winnipeg's Wesley College presided at the opening held February 9, 1908. In 1925, Fifth Avenue Methodist Church officially joined The United Church of Canada to become Fifth Avenue United Church.

Fetherstonhaugh, E. P., 1879-1959

  • fetherstonhaugh
  • Person
  • 1879-1959

Edwin P. Fetherstonhaugh was born in 1879. He graduated from McGill University in 1899 with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. He came to the University of Manitoba in 1909 to establish the Chair on Electrical Engineering. He was awarded the Military Cross during his service with the Canadian Engineers in World War I. Fetherstonhaugh was appointed Dean of Engineering and Architecture in 1921, when the University established the first three faculties. In 1945, he was elected President of the Engineering Institute of Canada. He received an honorary Doctorate of Science from McGill University in 1945, and an honorary L.L.D. from the University of Manitoba in 1947. Fetherstonhaugh died October 19, 1959.

Micay-Parks, Faye

  • Person
  • 1925-

Faye Parks Micay was born in Bender Hamlet in 1925 to Jenny and Jacob Parks, but largely grew up in Transcona and Winnipeg. Parks Micay attended Success Business College and then became a typist for the Department of Veteran Affairs before marrying Nathan Micay in 1948. Nathan Micay, a haberdasher and founder of Athletes Wear, was almost totally blind, so Faye was his driver and business assistant. She eventually became Vice President of Athletes Wear. Faye and Nathan had three children: Ira, Jack and Harold.

After she and Nathan divorced, Faye Micay changed her name to Faye Parks Micay and moved to Israel. She would live in Israel for seven years before returning to Winnipeg.

Faye Parks Micay donated her house to Shalom Residences and volunteered with Scouting groups and Sharon Home.

Farrally, Betty, 1915-1989

  • BA; PHA
  • Person
  • 1915-1989

Betty Hey was born May 15, 1915 in Brantford, England and began her dance training in Bradford, studying ballroom dance, national dance and Revived Greek Dance. Her parents later enrolled her in the Torch School of Dance in Leeds, Yorkshire, England with Gweneth Lloyd and completed the three year teacher’s programme. She taught in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire from 1936 to 1937 and returned to the Torch School of Dance to teach the following year.
Betty emigrated with Gweneth to Canada in 1938 to establish the Canadian School of Ballet in Winnipeg, Manitoba as well as the Winnipeg Ballet Club. She became the Club’s Principal Dancer and Ballet Mistress but also continued to perform until 1950. She married John Hudson Farrally in November 1942. John was killed in 1945 and Betty remarried, briefly, to Ken Ripley in 1949. Betty replaced Gweneth Lloyd as Artistic Director from 1955 to 1957, when she joined Gweneth in Kelowna, British Columbia. She continued to operate the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School until 1962. She served as the Ballet Mistress of the Kelowna branch of the Canadian School of Ballet from its inception until her retirement in 1974. She also became co-director, with Arnold Spohr, of the Dance Division at the Banff School of Fine Arts after Gweneth’s retirement in 1967. Betty continued to teach there until 1981.
Betty received a Civic Achievement medal from the City of Winnipeg in 1977; the Royal Academy of Dancing Fellowship Award in 1979; the Order of Canada in 1981; and the Dance in Canada Award in 1984. Betty Farrally passed away April 9, 1989 in Kelowna, British Columbia. She received the Canadian Conference of the Arts Diplome d’honneur posthumously in May of 1989.

Falk, Rudy, 1935-1998

  • Person
  • 1935-1998

Education: MD BSc(Med)(Man)1960

Positions: Professor, U of Toronto
Head, Division of general Surg Oncology, Toronto General

Lac du Bonnet, St. John's fonds

  • Corporate body
  • 1905-2018

St. John's began in 1905 with fortnightly services alternating between Whitemouth and Lac du Bonnet by a Wycliffe College student, Mr. W. Ellis. The church was built in 1906 and consecrated on 4 October1908 by the Rt. Rev. J. Lofthouse, bishop of Keewatin. Services continued until its closure on August 24, 2018. The church was deconsecrated on 3 December 2018.

Results 1 to 10 of 8280