Showing 4735 results

authority records
Person

Zwierzchowski, Jozef (Joe), 1902-1999

  • CA-OPMA-AR-08
  • Person
  • 1902-1999

Jozef was born in the Grabina powiat of Plock, Poland, on September 12, 1902. He arrived in Quebec on June 23, 1928. He resided in Gerald, SK, before moving to Winnipeg in 1935. In Winnipeg, he worked as a barber, initially operating out of a barbershop in the Dufferin Hotel.
Over his career as a Master Barber, Jozef operated out of various locations, including 241 Dufferin Ave, and later, Joe’s Barber Shop at 408 Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg.
Jozef was a member of the Holy Ghost Parish Church in Winnipeg, the Independent Order of Foresters Court No. 763, the Manitoba Master Barbers Association, the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 34, Mynarski V.C., and the S.P.K. Polish Combatants Association, Branch No. 13.
Jozef died in Winnipeg on September 3, 1999.

Zurba, Betty

  • zurba_b
  • Person
  • 1938-

Betty Johnson was born in Lena, Manitoba in 1938. After living briefly in Saskatchewan in the early 1950s, she married Earl Zurba, a bus driver in Sifton, Manitoba, in 1956. In 2002, they were living on a farm in Sifton. She is the grand-daughter of Edith Johnson.

Zurad, Adam Jozef, 1915-2004

  • CA-OPMA-AR-13
  • Person
  • 1915-2004

Adam Jozef Zurad was born on February 15, 1915 in Budziwoj, Rzeszow, Poland. During his school years, the family relocated to Drohobycz. He completed high school education and military service, initially assigned to artillery but later reassigned to the infantry officer cadet college in Kielce. He was then sent to the 4th Legionnaire Regiment in Kielce, where he was assigned to a communications platoon.
In 1939, Zurad entered the Faculty of Law at the University of Lwow while simultaneously working in Boryslaw. In August 1939, he received his mobilization papers and was ordered to report to Drohobycz to the 6th Podhale Regiment. He took part in the September campaign. Following German occupation of Poland, Zurad escaped via Hungary to France, where he joined General Maczek’s Division. He took part in the defense of France and remained there throughout most of the Second World War. After the Allied invasion of France, he was assigned to the 10th Hussar Regiment of the 2nd Corps. He trained in Egypt, taking part in the assault on Bologna in Italy.
Following the end of the war, Zurad was recruited by a Canadian commission looking for agricultural workers and emigrated to Canada.
He signed a two-year contract to work on sugar beet farms on the Canadian prairies. He worked on various farms, including cattle farms, then was employed on the construction of the military base in Shilo. He was then employed by CNR in Winnipeg and performing line maintenance in British Columbia. He eventually settled in Winnipeg, and was active in the Polish community. He was a member of the Holy Ghost Parish, a founding member of the Polish Combatants’ Association Branch 13, and a member of Sokol Choir. Zurad also took part in Polish amateur theatre. He resided at the Polish Manor.
Adam Zurad died on March 17, 2004.

Zion Church

  • Person

Zion Church existed in Winnipeg from 1874 until 1933. Zion Church was founded in the north end community of Point Douglas by Rev. Young and Grace Methodist Church. The original site of Zion Church was the corner of King and Logan Ave. By 1882, a new church had been built and enlarged at the corner of King and Henry Ave. Bethel Methodist Episcopalian Church amalgamated with Zion Church in 1884. Zion Church again built a new and larger church in 1889 and relocated to Alexander Avenue. The Methodist congregation of Zion Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. However, by 1932 the church was in financial difficulties and the Board of Trustees was forced to request permission from Winnipeg Presbytery to sell the property. The following year, Zion Church was sold to Rev. Frank Small and the congregation was officially disbanded. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the church were applied to the debts of Elgin Church and the residue of proceeds were administered according to the conference.

Zdrojewski, Lucja,1909-1992

  • CA-OPMA-AR-10
  • Person
  • 1900-1992

Lucja was born on October 31, 1909, in Minsk, Poland, to parents Jozef and Rozalia (nee Juszkiewicz) Gerjatowicz.
She completed her nursing education with the Polish Red Cross in 1930 in Lwow (Lviv). From 1930 to 1939, she was enlisted as a nurse in the District Corps No. VI, working at the Lwow Military Hospital in the radiography laboratory.
At the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, she made her way through Hungary to Parthenay, France, where she worked as a nurse at the temporary hospital beginning in 1940. Later in 1940, she relocated to Dunfermline, Scotland, and resided in various locations in Scotland for the rest of the war. From 1945 to 1947, she was part of the Polish Auxiliary Territorial Services (ATS). Under the auspices of the Polish No. I Corps, she worked in No. 2 Polish General Hospital “Sefa” in Dupplin Castle, Scotland until 1946 and received The War Medal 1939/45 for her service there. Lucja married Henryk (Henry) Zdrojewski in Perth, Scotland, on August 4, 1945. She was released from the ATS Polish Resettlement Corps in 1948 in Edinburgh.
Together with her husband, she immigrated to Canada in 1950, arriving in Halifax on February 8th of that year aboard the Empress of France, and made her way by rail to Winnipeg, where they settled. Lucja received her Canadian citizenship in 1955.
She was active in the Polish community in Winnipeg and was a member of the Polish Canadian Women’s Federation Branch no. 7.
She died in Winnipeg on July 12, 1992, aged 82 years.

Zdrojewski, Henryk, 1900-1969

  • CA-OPMA-AR-11
  • Person
  • 1900-1969

Henryk was born in Warsaw, Poland on November 20, 1900, to Teofil Zdrojewski and Maria (nee Ropelewska) Zdrojewska.
Henryk was a mechanical engineer. At the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, Henryk made his way through Hungary to France with the 1st Grenadiers’ Division, a Polish infantry formation raised in France in 1940, and took part in the Battle of France in 1940. From 1940 to 1946, he was stationed at various posts in Scotland as part of the Polish Forces in the United Kingdom. He served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Transport Company, 3rd Infantry Division at Crawford in June and July of 1940, then as 2nd Lieutenant in the Transport Company, 1st Independent Rifle Brigade, Polish I Corps, in Biggar and Ladybank, from July 1940 to December 1942. From 1942 to 1946, he was part of the 7th Workshop Company, 4th Infantry Division of the Polish No. I Corps, in Alloa, Chirnside, Coupar Angus, Broughty-Ferry, and Banff Military Camp. He received the War Medal 1939/45 in 1946. Following the end of the war, he was part of the Polish Resettlement Corps (PRC), residing in Banff, Kinross, Dunfermline, Alness, and Edinburgh between 1946 and 1948. He was formally discharged from Polish Resettlement Corps in 1949.
Henryk married Lucja Gerjatowicz in Perth, Scotland, on August 4, 1945. Together with his wife, he immigrated to Canada in 1950, leaving Liverpool on February 1st and arriving in Halifax on February 8th of that year aboard the Empress of France. They made their way by rail to Winnipeg, where they settled.
In Winnipeg, Henryk was employed as the manager at Traders Building Associates Ltd. He was a member of the A. Mynarski V.C. Branch 34, Royal Canadian Legion.
Henryk died in Winnipeg on August 18, 1969.

Results 1 to 10 of 4735