Showing 2583 results

authority records
Corporate body

Friends of Plautdietsch Scriptures

  • Corporate body

Friends of Plautdietsch Scriptures were a group individuals and organizations that shared the common goal or purpose to strengthen and maintain the fidelity of Mennonite communities where Plautdietsch (Low German) was used as the primary communication medium, through the publication of the Christian scriptures in Plautdietsch.

In 1996 the key persons included George Rempel, Chauhtemoc, Marilyn Hudson, manager of Kindred Productions (Winnipeg), Hart Wiens, Canadian Bible Society (St. Catharines), Jake Funk, Mennonite Brethren Communications (Winnipeg), Reuben Epp, Kelowna, Len Sawatzky, Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference Missions (Winnipeg), Tony Enns, Mennonite Central Committee Canada (Winnipeg), Harold Fehderau, Canadian Bible Society (Kitchener), Jake Heinrichs, Winnipeg, Viola Reimer Stewart, Dallas, Ed Zacharias, EMMC worker (Cuauhtemoc, Mexico), Vernon Wiebe, Hillsboro, Rosabel Fast (Winnipeg), Wilma Derksen, Mennonite Brethren Resources Ministry Board member (Winnipeg), Vincent Rempel, Swift Current, and Lena Dueck, Wycliffe Bible Translator (Calgary). Vernon R. Wiebe of Hillsboro, who had formed a business to publish materials in Low German because of his concern for the Old Colony Mennonites in Mexico, played an initial coordinating role in 1996. After his death due to cancer in January 1997, the group continued with the strong interest and leadership of individuals from the Canadian Bible Society and MCC Canada's Kanadier Concerns Program.

The strategy of the group included producing a complete translation of the Bible into the variant Plautdietsch used by Mennonites in Mexico, Bolivia and Paraguay. In 1997, this meant producing a new translation of the Old Testament and a thorough revision of the already published New Testament and Psalms (by J.J. Neufeld).

Tony Enns who first became involved as part of his role with MCC Canada Kanadier Concerns, continued to serve a coordinating role between the various individuals and organizations, including the facilitation of several signed agreements. One agreement entered in 1998, was between the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference and the United Bible Society and the Friends of the Plautdietsch related to the secondment of Ed and Susan Zacharias as translators for the project. Another signed agreement was entered in 2003 between the United Bible Society, Canadian Bible Society, Kindred Productions and Friends of Plautdietsch regarding the publishing and distribution rights.

The published Low German Bible (De Plautdietsche Bibel) was launched on November 21-23, 2003 in various locations in Manitoba.

Fraserview Mennoite Brethren Church

  • Corporate body

Many Mennonite Brethren migrated to Vancouver in the 1940s and 1950s causing the newly finished Vancouver Mennonite Brethren Church to fill to overflowing. Also, there was a group of people who preferred services in English to German. With the full support from the Vancouver Mennonite Brethren Church, 238 people took initiative, and purchased land to build a new church. In November 1954 the Fraserview Mennonite Brethren Church was dedicated. David Vogt and John Neufeld were elected as the first leader and assistant leader of this new church. George Konrad and John Wall were hired to preach, alternately in German and English until they called their first pastor, Peter R. Toews. In 1954 they held their first business meeting, in 1955 they were officially accepted as a church of the BC Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, and later that year their application was admitted to the Canadian Conference. Before long the facilities were insufficient for the number of people attending and there was talk about establishing a new sanctuary with the cooperation of Vancouver MB Church and Fraserview Church. Although this proposal was not carried out, each church instead went ahead separately; Fraserview built the Killarney Park Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1960 space was again needed, but this time an extension was added to the existing church building. Some renovations were also done in 1967/1968. Again, membership grew, but expansion was not necessary as many people left the church to join the newly organized Richmond Bethel Mennonite Brethren Church in 1971. Ground breaking ceremonies for that building took place in the fall of 1977 and the dedication took place in May 1979. Leaders of the church included Peter R. Toews (1955–1962), Wilmer Kornelsen (1963–1967), John A. Toews (1968–1971), Loyal Funk (1972–1981), Peter R. Toews (1982–1983, "Bridging Pastor"), Peter W. Nikkel (1983–1990), Herb Brandt (1990–1991), Dan Unrau (1991– ). As of 2004 the average attendance at Fraserview was 315 with a membership of 214.

Fraser Heights Community Church

  • Corporate body

The Fraser Heights Community Church began services in 1992 and formally organized in 1993 through the outreach of the BC Conference Board of Church Extension. They were affiliated with the BC Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches as well as the General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches from 1992 until they closed in 2000. Merv and Carol Boschman are considered the founding leaders of the group. In 1996 they were a congregation of 86 members; in 2000, 80. In 2000 worship services were held at Pacific Academy School and Pastor Nelson Boschman served as congregational leader. When they closed their doors in 2000, members joined other congregations.

Fox Memorial Hospital

  • Corporate body

In 1946 the Local Hospital Council began lobbying for the foundation of Fox Memorial Hospital which opened in 1949 to provide health services to citizens of the Carberry, Manitoba area. Additions were created in 1954 and 1964. A predecessor had been the Carberry Cottage Hospital which closed in the early 1900's. The name was changed in 1987 to the Carberry Plains District Health Centre, and in 2001 a sign erected indicating the commonly used name had returned to Fox Memorial Hospital. It was closely affiliated with the Carberry Plains Personal Care Home. In 1948 the Fox Memorial Hospital Auxiliary was founded to fund-raise for the facilities and is still active. The main funder was Mina Fox.

Fort William Education Council

  • Corporate body

The Religious Education Council for the Superior Presbytery was formed in 1948. The first activities sponsored by the Council included a Leaders Rally, Leadership Training School, and an Easter Sunrise Service for young people. They also offered courses for Religious Education leaders and encouraged religious education in public schools.

Fort William City Mission Board

  • Corporate body

The Fort William City Mission Board, also known as the Wesley Institute Board, was established before 1920.The meetings were held four times a year at Wesley Methodist/United Church. The Committee's duties included the hiring of Social Workers for the Wesley Institute at Wayside House, arranging summer school classes for these workers, sponsoring Vacation Bible Schools in the summer as well as maintaining financial records of the Institute. A Property Committee was formed in 1934.

Fort Rouge United Church

  • Corporate body

Fort Rouge United Church existed in Winnipeg from 1925 to 1935. The predecessor of the Fort Rouge United Church was Fort Rouge Methodist Church (1883-1925). Fort Rouge United Church utilized the former Fort Rouge Methodist Church structure, which was built in 1911. The successor of Fort Rouge United Church is the Crescent-Fort Rouge United Church, formed upon amalgamation of Fort Rouge United Church and Crescent United Church. Attempts at amalgamation began as early as 1930, however it was not until 1935 that the two congregations officially decided upon provisional union for two years.

Fort Rouge Methodist Church

  • Corporate body

Fort Rouge Methodist Church existed in Winnipeg from 1883 to 1925. Its successor was the Fort Rouge United Church (1925-1935). Fort Rouge Methodist Church was organized in 1883 under the direction of Grace Methodist Church. From 1883 to 1887, Fort Rouge Methodist Sunday School and church services were held in the Pembina school house. In 1887, the congregation erected a church on the corner of Stradbrook Avenue and Joseph Street and formed the 'Winnipeg Mission', along with the congregation of McDougall. The minister of the Winnipeg Mission, Enos Langford, was shared by Fort Rouge and McDougall until 1889, when each church became an independent station and received their own ministers. In 1906, Fort Rouge Methodist Church purchased land at the corner of Nassau and Wardlaw and constructed part of a new church building. The eastern portion of the building, to be used primarily for Christian education, was completed in 1906 and the remainder of the church was completed in 1910. The official opening and dedication of the new church took place in April of 1911. Fort Rouge Methodist Church was partly responsible for the creation of the Sunshine Mission in 1916. Alongside Augustine Presbyterian Church, Fort Rouge helped to organize the Sunshine Mission (later known as Stafford Street Mission), which would eventually evolve into Harrow United Church. In 1923, Fort Rouge Methodist Church became one of the first churches in Canada to broadcast a church service over the radio. On Easter Sunday, April 1, 1923, Fort Rouge Methodist Church broadcast its church service on CKY. Fort Rouge Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming Fort Rouge United Church.

Fort Garry United Church

  • Corporate body

Fort Garry United Church has existed in Winnipeg since 1921. The first church service was held in November of 1921 in General Byng School and was organized through the efforts of Mr. Alexander Baird, an elder of Augustine Presbyterian Church. The church began as a mission church sanctioned by both the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches in Canada and was named 'United Church, Fort Garry'. The congregation held services in Boyce's Store and Fort Garry's Municipal Hall until a church building was constructed in 1922. The church inducted its first ordained minister, Rev. S. C. Studd, in April 1924. The church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, and began referring to itself as 'Fort Garry United Church'. Though the church did not officially pass a motion declaring their name to be 'Fort Garry United Church' until 1946, the name was consistently used both formally and informally since the time of union. In 1947, the Fort Garry United Church was moved to a new location at the corner of Lyon Street and Point Road and was remodeled and expanded to include a basement/Church Hall. By 1955, a new sanctuary was built and the older building was used for meetings and Christian Education. In 1961, the old church building was donated to the Hungarian United Church and a new Christian Education wing was added. The opening of the new structure was celebrated concurrent to the Fort Garry United Church's fortieth anniversary celebrations. Fort Garry United Church is located at 800 Point Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Results 1 to 10 of 2583