Showing 2573 results

authority records
Corporate body

101st Brownies

  • Corporate body

In the spring of 1952 Kit Donaldson organized a group of 32 girls aged 7 to 10 years into a Brownie Pack originally known as the 7th Pack Brownies. Their first church activity was a Parent's Day Banquet. The girls would work towards many different proficiency badges that were generally awarded at a dinner that parents attended. There are no surviving records of their activities between 1955 and 1974, the same year that the group became the 101st Brownie Pack. In 1978, the age limit for Brownies changed to 6 to 9 years, and the Girl Guides included girls between the ages of 9 to 12 years. In 1981, there were 18 Brownies enrolled, but no Guide pack in progress for that year. It appears that a Pathfinders group, for girls aged 12 - 15 was established in 1988.

12th Port Arthur Group Committee

  • Corporate body

The 12th Port Arthur Group Committee was responsible for the Boy Scout, Cub and Beaver group sponsored by Knox United Church - Shuniah Street. The Group Committee first established the Boy Scout Troop in 1946. The first Scoutmaster was A.E. Moore. The troop varied in size, with the largest group, 40 boys, during that first year. As the years progressed, the numbers consistently stayed between 20 or 30 boys. By 1989, the Scouts were competing with organized sports and it was found to be necessary to amalgamate the troop with the troops from Our Saviour Lutheran Church and Current River United Church. The Cub Pack was started in 1951 under the leadership of Edna Bailey. The concept of a programme for boys too young for Cubs was initiated at St. Cuthbert's Anglican Church in Winnipeg in September 1971. In November of 1974, the Boy Scouts of Canada officially adopted the "Beaver" programme. The Thunder Bay District Beaver Co - ordinator initiated plans for a Beaver programme for Knox United Church - Shuniah Street. Their first meeting was on October 12, 1977 with June Hodgins, Bev Newman, Myles Penny, Gail Viklen and Mark Hunter. All three groups participate in age appropriate games, hikes, and badge training.

26th Field Artillery Regiment Museum

  • DHM
  • Corporate body
  • 1979-present

The 26th Field Regiment RCA / XII Manitoba Dragoons Museum is located in the Brandon Armoury at 116 Victoria Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba. The armoury was built in 1907 and has housed the Royal North West Mounted Police, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the 99th Manitoba Rangers, the XII Manitoba Dragoons, and the 26th Field Artillery Regiment. The first floor of the building now houses a military history museum, archives and library that have been open to the public since 1979.

A.E. McKenzie Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1896-1994

The A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was founded in 1896 by Albert Edward McKenzie as The Brandon Seed House. In 1906, the company underwent a change of name when A. E. McKenzie, who up until that point had been running the company on his own, decided that the growth of the country demanded a larger seed institute than could be managed by just one man. As a result, the company was incorporated under the Joint Stock Companies Act as A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd., under the Statutes of the Province of Manitoba, and new personnel were hired. Initially comprised of three divisions, The Brandon Seed House, Brandon Nurseries and Brandon Greenhouses, with each division registered under Dominion Patents, the company was later divided into Retail Mail Order, Wholesale and Commission Packet Trade divisions, as well as some export business. Located at 30 9th Street, Brandon, Manitoba, the head office and plant of A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. housed all the facilities and staff of the company, except the regional sales offices and warehouses. In 1908 the first branch of the A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was established at Calgary. In the following sixteen years additional branches were established in other Canadian cities. In 1930, McKenzie Seeds created the Seed Marketing Co. as a means of supplying distressed farmers with seed. This was accomplished through a Seed Grain Mortgage; this agreement was made before planting took place. Following harvest the mortgage was to be paid off. The Company fell into default and ceased to exist in 1962. In the years 1944-1945, the McKenzie Foundation was created, at which time 90% of the shares of the company were turned over to the Manitoba Government for the benefit of higher education, specifically Brandon College. Since 1975 the crown has held all shares of the McKenzie Co. through the Province of Manitoba. A.E. McKenzie died on September 25, 1964 at the age of 94 and was succeeded as president by a number of individuals. Late in 1971 A. E. McKenzie Co. Ltd. purchased its largest competition in packaged seeds - Steele Briggs Seed Co., and at the time of the acquisition the company changed its name to A. E. McKenzie Co. - Steele Briggs Seeds. Other acquisitions included McFayden Seeds (1941), the Canada Seed Company, which merged with Steele Briggs in the 1930's, Brett-Young Seeds (1971), and Pike & Co. (1982). In 1994 the Manitoba Government sold the A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. to Regal Greetings and Gifts.

ARIZONA WOMEN'S ORGANIZATION, MANITOBA

  • Corporate body

The Arizona Women's Organization created a history of the community entitled "Arizona: 1882-1992" as a centennial project. Its date of founding is unknown and it is still active in fund-raising for the Arizona Hall upkeep and other causes. Further information is unknown.

Aberdeen Mennonite Brethren Church

  • Corporate body

The Aberdeen Mennonite Brethren Church, located in northern Saskatchewan, was a member of the Canadian Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches, Rosthern District. The first settlers, consisting of seven families, came to the Aberdeen area in May of 1903. They gave their membership certificates from Russia to Jacob Wiens of Ebenfeld (Laird). At first, the Aberdeen settlers gathered in the home of G.J. Sawatzky, a deacon from Russia, for regular church services. In 1904, when more settlers came from Russia, local services were organized, Sunday School was begun, and a choir was formed under the leadership of A.G. Sawatzky. From 1904-1909, services were held in the Neu Steinbach School. In 1905, Jacob Wiens (Ebenfeld) served six candidates with baptism. Gerhard Siemens from Russia visited Aberdeen in 1906 and under his direction G.J. Sawatzky began the leadership of the church. Minutes and financial records were kept, starting in 1906. The congregation erected a church building in 1909 which was paid for by the following year. Pastors in the church were: G.J. Sawatzky (1906-1909), John P. Siemens (1909-1921), H.G. Sawatzky (1921-1931), Ben L. Sawatzky (1932-1941), Johann Kruger (1942), H.W. Niessen (1943-1944), G.K. Sawatzky (1945-1952), and Archie Kruger (1953-1960). In the 1930s, membership in Aberdeen M.B. Church was over one-hundred, but by 1960, only eighteen members were left. The church closed and the remaining members joined the Saskatoon Mennonite Brethren churches.

Aberdeen Mennonite Church

  • Corporate body

Aberdeen was one of the congregations with a meeting house of the Rosenorter Gemeinde in Saskatchewan. The founder of this Gemeinde was Peter Regier (1851-1925). He had been appointed Ältester in 1887 in Prussia. He emigrated to Tiefengrund, Saskatchewan in 1893. Enough families had settled in the area so that in 1894 the Rosenorter Gemeinde of Saskatchewan had been founded. In 1909 there were enough families in the wider area to form districts with a minister in charge of each. One of these was Aberdeen which had families worshipping together since 1907 under the leadership of Cornelius Ens. There were 130 members worshipping in this district. In 1910 the meeting house at Aberdeen was completed. During the next decade or so the congregation was served by various non-resident ministers of the Gemeinde. Jacob Nickel emigrated to Aberdeen in 1924 and remained their leader until 1937. During this time he also taught in the Bible School in Rosthern. The meeting house was moved onto a basement at the same site in 1939. The building was renovated in 1950 and again in 1964. In 1962 the Rosenorter Gemeinde was dissolved and each congregation became independent. The membership was 103 in 1963. That figure remained fairly constant; in 2000 it was 102. Leaders of the congregation were: Cornelius Ens (1907-1915), Jacob Nickel (1924-1937), Peter Koop (1932-1946), Heinrich Neudorf (1932-1947), Bernhard Fast (1947-1955), Franz Koop (1951-1973), John Peters (1973-1976, 1983), John Kroeger (1977-1982), Verner Friesen (1984-1991), Rod Suderman (1992-1999), David Neufeld (2000- ).

Abernethy Elevator Local #702

  • abernethy
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-2001

The Abernethy, Saskatchewan grain elevators were built in the early 1900s by various grain companies. Five elevators existed in Abernethy: Beaver (1904), International (1906), Maple Leaf (1908), North Star (1904) and Farmers’ Elevator Company (1907). In 1948, the United Grain Growers purchased the oldest Abernethy elevator from Reliance Grain. Over the next twenty years, United Grain Growers purchased the three major elevators in Abernethy, consisting of some of the oldest still functioning in Canada. At the same time of United Grain Growers' expansion into Abernethy, a re-organization of Locals followed to provide representation for labor. The United Grain Growers Local #702 formed in 1949 and included farmers from Balcarres, Saskatchewan. Local #702 remained active as a representative union for the farmer owned company until United Grain Growers’ merger with Agricore United in 2001.

Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office

  • Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office
  • Corporate body
  • 2001-

The University of Manitoba Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office was initially established as the FIPPA/PHIA Office within the Archives & Special Collections unit in 2001. The purpose of the office was to implement The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) on behalf of the University. In 2008, the FIPPA/PHIA Office underwent administrative changes, being renamed the Access & Privacy Coordinator’s Office under the Vice-President (Administration). In 2010, the office was transferred to the newly formed Office of Fair Practices & Legal Affairs.

Results 1 to 10 of 2573