Title and statement of responsibility area
Aberdeen Mennonite Brethren Church Fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CMBS BF508; Microfilm: R15, pp. 841-1155; R47, pp. 960-1248.
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
27 cm of textual records
one microfilm reel
one microfilm reel
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Aberdeen Mennonite Brethren Church, located in northern Saskatchewan, was a member of the Canadian Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches, Rosthern District. The first settlers, consisting of seven families, came to the Aberdeen area in May of 1903. They gave their membership certificates from Russia to Jacob Wiens of Ebenfeld (Laird). At first, the Aberdeen settlers gathered in the home of G.J. Sawatzky, a deacon from Russia, for regular church services. In 1904, when more settlers came from Russia, local services were organized, Sunday School was begun, and a choir was formed under the leadership of A.G. Sawatzky. From 1904-1909, services were held in the Neu Steinbach School. In 1905, Jacob Wiens (Ebenfeld) served six candidates with baptism. Gerhard Siemens from Russia visited Aberdeen in 1906 and under his direction G.J. Sawatzky began the leadership of the church. Minutes and financial records were kept, starting in 1906. The congregation erected a church building in 1909 which was paid for by the following year. Pastors in the church were: G.J. Sawatzky (1906-1909), John P. Siemens (1909-1921), H.G. Sawatzky (1921-1931), Ben L. Sawatzky (1932-1941), Johann Kruger (1942), H.W. Niessen (1943-1944), G.K. Sawatzky (1945-1952), and Archie Kruger (1953-1960). In the 1930s, membership in Aberdeen M.B. Church was over one-hundred, but by 1960, only eighteen members were left. The church closed and the remaining members joined the Saskatoon Mennonite Brethren churches.
Many of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. The textual records came to the Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies in 1996 from the Bethany Bible School in Saskatchewan, where they had been housed, probably since the microfilming was done in 1978. In 2002 the Jugendverein records were donated to the archives.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the following series: Membership and family records including a history of the church (in the German Gothic script), baptisms, births, and deaths; financial records including church land transaction records, records of missions contributions, church offerings, and contributions of the church and individuals; congregational minutes and library records; Jugendverein (young peoples) records. Most of these documents are in bound form and are also available on microfilm except for the young peoples materials.
Immediate source of acquisition
Description updated October 17, 2002 by Conrad Stoesz.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series descriptions and file list available.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description