12th Port Arthur Group Committee

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

12th Port Arthur Group Committee

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The 12th Port Arthur Group Committee was responsible for the Boy Scout, Cub and Beaver group sponsored by Knox United Church - Shuniah Street. The Group Committee first established the Boy Scout Troop in 1946. The first Scoutmaster was A.E. Moore. The troop varied in size, with the largest group, 40 boys, during that first year. As the years progressed, the numbers consistently stayed between 20 or 30 boys. By 1989, the Scouts were competing with organized sports and it was found to be necessary to amalgamate the troop with the troops from Our Saviour Lutheran Church and Current River United Church. The Cub Pack was started in 1951 under the leadership of Edna Bailey. The concept of a programme for boys too young for Cubs was initiated at St. Cuthbert's Anglican Church in Winnipeg in September 1971. In November of 1974, the Boy Scouts of Canada officially adopted the "Beaver" programme. The Thunder Bay District Beaver Co - ordinator initiated plans for a Beaver programme for Knox United Church - Shuniah Street. Their first meeting was on October 12, 1977 with June Hodgins, Bev Newman, Myles Penny, Gail Viklen and Mark Hunter. All three groups participate in age appropriate games, hikes, and badge training.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC